The following events took place on May 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1256The Augustinian monastic order is constituted at the Lecceto Monastery when Pope Alexander IV issues a papal bull Licet ecclesiae catholicae.
- 1415Religious reformers John Wycliffe and Jan Hus are condemned as heretics at the Council of Constance.
- 1436Assassination of the Swedish rebel (later national hero) Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson
- 1471Wars of the Roses: The Battle of Tewkesbury: Edward IV defeats a Lancastrian Army and kills Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales.
- 1493Pope Alexander VI divides the New World between Spain and Portugal along the Line of Demarcation.
- 1626Dutch explorer Peter Minuit arrives in New Netherland (present day Manhattan Island) aboard the See Meeuw.
- 1675King Charles II of England orders the construction of the Royal Greenwich Observatory.
- 1686The Municipality of Ilagan is founded in the Philippines.
- 1776Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.
- 1799Fourth Anglo-Mysore War: The Battle of Seringapatam: The siege of Seringapatam ends when the city is invaded and Tipu Sultan killed by the besieging British army, under the command of General George Harris.
- 1814Emperor Napoleon I of France arrives at Portoferraio on the island of Elba to begin his exile.
- 1814King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decrete of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- 1836Formation of Ancient Order of Hibernians
- 1859The Cornwall Railway opens across the Royal Albert Bridge linking the counties of Devon and Cornwall in England.
- 1865Surrender of the Confederate departments of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana at Citronelle, Alabama.
- 1869The Naval Battle of Hakodate is fought in Japan.
- 1871The National Association, the first professional baseball league, opens its first season in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- 1886Haymarket affair: A bomb is thrown at policemen trying to break up a labor rally in Chicago, United States, killing eight and wounding 60. The police fire into the crowd.
- 1902Eight fishermen lose their lives in Galway Bay, Ireland in a drowning tragedy.
- 1904The United States begins construction of the Panama Canal.
- 1904Charles Stewart Rolls meets Frederick Henry Royce at the Midland Hotel in Manchester, England.
- 1910The Royal Canadian Navy is created.
- 1912Italy occupies the Greek island of Rhodes.
- 1919May Fourth Movement: Student demonstrations take place in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, protesting the Treaty of Versailles, which transferred Chinese territory to Japan.
- 1926The United Kingdom general strike begins.
- 1932In Atlanta, mobster Al Capone begins serving an eleven-year prison sentence for tax evasion.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea begins with an attack by aircraft from the United States aircraft carrier USS Yorktown on Japanese naval forces at Tulagi Island in the Solomon Islands. The Japanese forces had invaded Tulagi the day before.
- 1945World War II: Neuengamme concentration camp near Hamburg is liberated by the British Army.
- 1945World War II: German surrender at Lüneburg Heath, the North German Army surrenders to Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery.
- 1945World War II: Denmark is granted liberation, when Germany was forced withdraw from Denmark thus ending five years of occupation.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)