The following events took place on May 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 553The Second Council of Constantinople begins.
- 1215Rebel barons renounce their allegiance to King John of England — part of a chain of events leading to the signing of the Magna Carta.
- 1260Kublai Khan becomes ruler of the Mongol Empire.
- 1494Christopher Columbus lands on the island of Jamaica and claims it for Spain.
- 1640King Charles I of England dissolves the Short Parliament.
- 1762Russia and Prussia sign the Treaty of St. Petersburg.
- 1789In France, the Estates-General convenes for the first time since 1614.
- 1809Mary Kies becomes the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and thread.
- 1809The Swiss canton of Aargau allowed citizenship to Jews.
- 1811In the second day of fighting at the Peninsular War Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro the French army, under Marshall André Masséna, drive in the Duke of Wellington’s overextended right flank, but French frontal assaults fail to take the town of Fuentes de Oñoro and the Anglo-Portuguese army holds the field at the end of the day.
- 1821Emperor Napoleon dies in exile on the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- 1835In Belgium, the first railway in continental Europe opens between Brussels and Mechelen.
- 1860Giuseppe Garibaldi sets sail from Genoa, leading the expedition of the Thousand to conquer the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and giving birth to the Kingdom of Italy.
- 1862Cinco de Mayo: Troops led by Ignacio Zaragoza halt a French invasion in the Battle of Puebla in Mexico.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County.
- 1865American Civil War: The Confederate District of the Gulf surrenders about 4,000 men at Citronelle, Alabama.
- 1865In North Bend, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati), the first train robbery in the United States takes place.
- 1865American Civil War: The Confederate government was declared dissolved at Washington, Georgia.
- 1866Memorial Day first celebrated in United States at Waterloo, New York.
- 1877American Indian Wars: Sitting Bull leads his band of Lakota into Canada to avoid harassment by the United States Army under Colonel Nelson Miles.
- 1886The Bay View Massacre: A militia fires into a crowd of protesters in Milwaukee, killing seven.
- 1891The Music Hall in New York City (later known as Carnegie Hall) has its grand opening and first public performance, with Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor.
- 1904Pitching against the Philadelphia Athletics at the Huntington Avenue Grounds, Cy Young of the Boston Americans throws the first perfect game in the modern era of baseball.
- 1905The trial in the Stratton Brothers case begins in London, England; it marks the first time that fingerprint evidence is used to gain a conviction for murder.
- 1920Authorities arrest Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti for alleged robbery and murder.
- 1925Scopes Trial: Serving of an arrest warrant on John T. Scopes for teaching evolution in violation of the Butler Act.
- 1925The government of South Africa declares Afrikaans an official language.
- 1934The first Three Stooges short, Woman Haters, is released.
- 1936Italian troops occupy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- 1940World War II: Norwegian refugees form a government-in-exile in London
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)