The following events took place on May 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 453 BCSpring and Autumn period: The house of Zhao defeats the house of Zhi, ending the Battle of Jinyang, a military conflict between the elite families of the State of Jin.
- 413Emperor Honorius signs an edict providing tax relief for the Italian provinces Tuscia, Campania, Picenum, Samnium, Apulia, Lucania and Calabria, which were plundered by the Visigoths.
- 589Reccared I summons the Third Council of Toledo.
- 1450Jack Cade’s Rebellion: Kentishmen revolt against King Henry VI.
- 1516Trần Cảo Rebellion: A group of imperial guards, led by Trịnh Duy Sản, murdered Emperor Lê Tương Dực and fled, leaving the capital Thăng Long undefended.
- 1541Hernando de Soto reaches the Mississippi River and names it Río de Espíritu Santo.
- 1788The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 1794Branded a traitor during the Reign of Terror by revolutionists, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier, who was also a tax collector with the Ferme Générale, is tried, convicted, and guillotined all on the same day in Paris.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia Inn.
- 1842A train derails and catches fire in Paris, killing between 52 and 200 people.
- 1846Mexican–American War: The Battle of Palo Alto: Zachary Taylor defeats a Mexican force north of the Rio Grande in the first major battle of the war.
- 1861American Civil War: Richmond, Virginia is named the capital of the Confederate States of America.
- 1877At Gilmore’s Gardens in New York City, the first Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opens.
- 1886Pharmacist John Pemberton first sells a carbonated beverage named “Coca-Cola” as a patent medicine.
- 1898The first games of the Italian football league system are played.
- 1899The Irish Literary Theatre in Dublin produced its first play.
- 1901The Australian Labour Party is established.
- 1902In Martinique, Mount Pelée erupts, destroying the town of Saint-Pierre and killing over 30,000 people. Only a handful of residents survive the blast.
- 1912Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 1919Edward George Honey proposes the idea of a moment of silence to commemorate the Armistice of World War I.
- 1924The Klaipėda Convention is signed formally incorporating Klaipėda Region (Memel Territory) into Lithuania.
- 1927Attempting to make the first non-stop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York, French war heroes Charles Nungesser and François Coli disappear after taking off aboard The White Bird biplane.
- 1933Mohandas Gandhi begins a 21-day fast of self-purification and launched a one-year campaign to help the Harijan movement.
- 1941The German Luftwaffe launches a bombing raid on Nottingham and Derby
- 1942World War II: The Battle of the Kerch Peninsula: The German 11th Army begins Operation Trappenjagd (Bustard Hunt) and destroys the bridgehead of the three Soviet Armies (44th, 47th, and 51st) defending the Kerch Peninsula, in the eastern part of the Crimea.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- 1942World War II: Gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel in the Cocos Islands Mutiny. Their mutiny is crushed and three of them are executed, the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War.
- 1945Hundreds of Algerian civilians are killed by French Army soldiers in the Sétif massacre.
- 1945World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Reims, France, to an unconditional surrender.
- 1945End of the Prague uprising, celebrated now as a national holiday in the Czech Republic.
Curious about this Blue Quandong Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!