The following events took place on November 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1028Future Byzantine empress Zoe takes the throne as empress consort to Romanos III Argyros.
- 1330Battle of Posada, Wallachian Voievode Basarab I defeats the Hungarian army in an ambush.
- 1439Plymouth, England, becomes the first town incorporated by the English Parliament.
- 1555The English Parliament re-establishes Catholicism.
- 1793Jean Sylvain Bailly, the first Mayor of Paris, is guillotined.
- 1892William “Pudge” Heffelfinger becomes the first professional American football player on record, participating in his first paid game for the Allegheny Athletic Association.
- 1893The treaty of the Durand Line delineating the border between present day Pakistan and Afghanistan is signed by Sir Mortimer Durand, a British diplomat in British India, and the Afghan Amir Abdur Rahman Khan; the Durand Line has gained international recognition as an international border between the two nations.
- 1905Norway holds a referendum in favor of monarchy over republic.
- 1912King George I of Greece makes a triumphal entry into Thessaloniki after its liberation from 482 years of Ottoman rule.
- 1912The frozen bodies of Robert Scott and his men are found on the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica.
- 1918Austria becomes a republic.
- 1920Italy and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes sign the Treaty of Rapallo.
- 1927Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in undisputed control of the Soviet Union.
- 1928SS Vestris sinks approximately 200 mi off Hampton Roads, Virginia, killing at least 110 passengers, mostly women and children who die after the vessel is abandoned.
- 1933Hugh Gray takes the first known photos alleged to be of the Loch Ness Monster.
- 1936In California, the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge opens to traffic.
- 1940World War II: The Battle of Gabon ends as Free French Forces take Libreville, Gabon, and all of French Equatorial Africa from Vichy French forces.
- 1940World War II: Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov arrives in Berlin to discuss the possibility of the Soviet Union joining the Axis Powers.
- 1941World War II: Temperatures around Moscow drop to -12 °C as the Soviet Union launches ski troops for the first time against the freezing German forces near the city.
- 1941World War II: The Soviet cruiser Chervona Ukraina is destroyed during the Battle of Sevastopol.
- 1942World War II: Naval Battle of Guadalcanal between Japanese and American forces begins near Guadalcanal. The battle lasts for three days and ends with an American victory.
- 1944World War II: The Royal Air Force launches 29 Avro Lancaster bombers, which sink the German battleship Tirpitz, with 12,000 lb Tallboy bombs off Tromsø, Norway.
- 1945Sudirman is elected the first commander-in-chief of the Indonesian Armed Forces.
- 1948In Tokyo, an international war crimes tribunal sentences seven Japanese military and government officials, including General Hideki Tojo, to death for their roles in World War II.
- 1956Morocco, Sudan and Tunisia join the United Nations.
- 1956In the midst of the Suez Crisis, Palestinian refugees are shot dead in the village of Rafah by Israeli soldiers following the invasion of the Gaza Strip.
- 1958A team of rock climbers led by Warren Harding completes the first ascent of The Nose on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley.
- 1968Equatorial Guinea joins the United Nations.
- 1969Vietnam War: My Lai Massacre – Independent investigative journalist Seymour Hersh breaks the My Lai story.
- 1970The Oregon Highway Division attempts to destroy a rotting beached Sperm whale with explosives, leading to the now infamous “exploding whale” incident.
Curious about this Kiwi Whipped Cream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!