The following events took place on November 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1002English king Æthelred II orders the killing of all Danes in England, known today as the St. Brice’s Day massacre.
- 1160Louis VII of France marries Adela of Champagne.
- 1553Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer and four others, including Lady Jane Grey, are accused of high treason and sentenced to death under Catholic Queen “Bloody” Mary I.
- 1642First English Civil War: Battle of Turnham Green: The Royalist forces withdraw in the face of the Parliamentarian army and fail to take London.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Patriot revolutionary forces under Gen. Richard Montgomery occupy Montreal.
- 1841James Braid first sees a demonstration of animal magnetism, which leads to his study of the subject he eventually calls hypnotism.
- 1851The Denny Party lands at Alki Point, before moving to the other side of Elliott Bay to what would become Seattle.
- 1864The new Constitution of Greece is adopted.
- 1887Bloody Sunday clashes in central London.
- 1901The 1901 Caister Lifeboat Disaster.
- 1914Zaian War: Berber tribesmen inflict the heaviest defeat of French forces in Morocco at the Battle of El Herri.
- 1916Prime Minister of Australia Billy Hughes is expelled from the Labor Party over his support for conscription.
- 1918Allied troops occupy Constantinople, the capital of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1927The Holland Tunnel opens to traffic as the first Hudson River vehicle tunnel linking New Jersey to New York City.
- 1940Walt Disney’s animated musical film Fantasia is first released, on the first night of a roadshow at New York’s Broadway Theatre.
- 1941World War II: The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal is torpedoed by GS U-81, sinking the following day.
- 1942World War II: Naval Battle of Guadalcanal: U.S. and Japanese ships engage in an intense, close-quarters surface naval engagement during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
- 1947The Soviet Union completes development of the AK-47, one of the first proper assault rifles.
- 1950General Carlos Delgado Chalbaud, President of Venezuela, is assassinated in Caracas.
- 1954Great Britain defeats France to capture the first ever Rugby League World Cup in Paris in front of around 30,000 spectators.
- 1956The Supreme Court of the United States declares Alabama laws requiring segregated buses illegal, thus ending the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- 1965The SS Yarmouth Castle burns and sinks 60 miles off Nassau with the loss of 90 lives.
- 1966In response to Fatah raids against Israelis near the West Bank border, Israel launches an attack on the village of As-Samu.
- 1969Vietnam War: Anti-war protesters in Washington, D.C. stage a symbolic March Against Death.
- 1970Bhola cyclone: A 150-mph tropical cyclone hits the densely populated Ganges Delta region of East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), killing an estimated 500,000 people in one night. This is regarded as the 20th century’s worst natural disaster.
- 1974Ronald DeFeo, Jr. murders his entire family in Amityville, Long Island in the house that would become known as The Amityville Horror.
- 1982Ray Mancini defeats Duk Koo Kim in a boxing match held in Las Vegas. Kim’s subsequent death (on November 17) leads to significant changes in the sport.
- 1982The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C. after a march to its site by thousands of Vietnam War veterans.
- 1985The volcano Nevado del Ruiz erupts and melts a glacier, causing a lahar (volcanic mudslide) that buries Armero, Colombia, killing approximately 23,000 people.
- 1985Xavier Suárez is sworn in as Miami’s first Cuban-born mayor.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)