The following events took place on November 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 37 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1770James Bruce discovers what he believes to be the source of the Nile.
- 1862American Civil War: President Abraham Lincoln approves General Ambrose Burnside’s plan to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia, leading to the Battle of Fredericksburg.
- 1889Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in 72 days.
- 1910Aviator Eugene Burton Ely performs the first take off from a ship in Hampton Roads, Virginia. He took off from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham in a Curtiss pusher.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of the Somme ends.
- 1918Czechoslovakia becomes a republic.
- 1921Foundation of the Communist Party of Spain.
- 1922The British Broadcasting Company begins radio service in the United Kingdom.
- 1932Al Shorta SC, one of Iraq’s biggest football clubs, are founded as Montakhab Al Shorta.
- 1940World War II: In England, Coventry is heavily bombed by German Luftwaffe bombers. Coventry Cathedral is almost completely destroyed.
- 1941World War II: The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal sinks due to torpedo damage from the GS U-81 sustained on November 13.
- 1941World War II: In Slonim, German forces engaged in Operation Barbarossa murder 9,000 Jews in a single day.
- 1952The first regular UK Singles Chart published by the New Musical Express.
- 1957The Apalachin Meeting outside Binghamton, New York is raided by law enforcement, and many high level Mafia figures are arrested.
- 1965Vietnam War: The Battle of Ia Drang begins – the first major engagement between regular American and North Vietnamese forces.
- 1967The Congress of Colombia, in commemoration of the 150 years of the death of Policarpa Salavarrieta, declares this day as “Day of the Colombian Woman”.
- 1967American physicist Theodore Maiman is given a patent for his ruby laser systems, the world’s first laser.
- 1969Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 12, the second crewed mission to the surface of the Moon.
- 1970Soviet Union enters ICAO, making Russian the fourth official language of organization.
- 1970Southern Airways Flight 932 crashes in the mountains near Huntington, West Virginia, killing 75, including members of the Marshall University football team.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)