The following events took place on November 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 37 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1770James Bruce discovers what he believes to be the source of the Nile.
- 1862American Civil War: President Abraham Lincoln approves General Ambrose Burnside’s plan to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia, leading to the Battle of Fredericksburg.
- 1889Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in 72 days.
- 1910Aviator Eugene Burton Ely performs the first take off from a ship in Hampton Roads, Virginia. He took off from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham in a Curtiss pusher.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of the Somme ends.
- 1918Czechoslovakia becomes a republic.
- 1921Foundation of the Communist Party of Spain.
- 1922The British Broadcasting Company begins radio service in the United Kingdom.
- 1932Al Shorta SC, one of Iraq’s biggest football clubs, are founded as Montakhab Al Shorta.
- 1940World War II: In England, Coventry is heavily bombed by German Luftwaffe bombers. Coventry Cathedral is almost completely destroyed.
- 1941World War II: The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal sinks due to torpedo damage from the GS U-81 sustained on November 13.
- 1941World War II: In Slonim, German forces engaged in Operation Barbarossa murder 9,000 Jews in a single day.
- 1952The first regular UK Singles Chart published by the New Musical Express.
- 1957The Apalachin Meeting outside Binghamton, New York is raided by law enforcement, and many high level Mafia figures are arrested.
- 1965Vietnam War: The Battle of Ia Drang begins – the first major engagement between regular American and North Vietnamese forces.
- 1967The Congress of Colombia, in commemoration of the 150 years of the death of Policarpa Salavarrieta, declares this day as “Day of the Colombian Woman”.
- 1967American physicist Theodore Maiman is given a patent for his ruby laser systems, the world’s first laser.
- 1969Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 12, the second crewed mission to the surface of the Moon.
- 1970Soviet Union enters ICAO, making Russian the fourth official language of organization.
- 1970Southern Airways Flight 932 crashes in the mountains near Huntington, West Virginia, killing 75, including members of the Marshall University football team.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)