The following events took place on November 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 284Diocletian is chosen as Roman emperor.
- 762During the An Shi Rebellion, the Tang dynasty, with the help of Huihe tribe, recaptures Luoyang from the rebels.
- 1194Palermo is conquered by Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1407A truce between John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy and Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans is agreed upon under the auspices of John, Duke of Berry. Orléans would be assassinated three days later by Burgundy.
- 1695Zumbi, the last of the leaders of Quilombo dos Palmares in early Brazil, is executed by the forces of Portuguese bandeirante Domingos Jorge Velho.
- 1739Start of the Battle of Porto Bello between British and Spanish forces during the War of Jenkins’ Ear.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: British forces land at the Palisades and then attack Fort Lee. The Continental Army starts to retreat across New Jersey.
- 1789New Jersey becomes the first U.S. state to ratify the Bill of Rights.
- 1805Beethoven’s only opera, Fidelio premieres in Vienna.
- 1820An 80-ton sperm whale attacks the Essex (a whaling ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts) 2,000 miles from the western coast of South America. (Herman Melville’s 1851 novel Moby-Dick is in part inspired by this story.)
- 1845Anglo-French blockade of the Río de la Plata: Battle of Vuelta de Obligado.
- 1861American Civil War: A secession ordinance is filed by Kentucky’s Confederate government.
- 1910Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero issues the Plan de San Luis Potosí, denouncing Mexican President Porfirio Díaz, calling for a revolution to overthrow the government of Mexico, effectively starting the Mexican Revolution.
- 1917World War I: Battle of Cambrai begins: British forces make early progress in an attack on German positions but are later pushed back.
- 1917Ukraine is declared a republic.
- 1936José Antonio Primo de Rivera, founder of the Falange, is killed by a republican execution squad.
- 1940World War II: Hungary becomes a signatory of the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis powers.
- 1943World War II: Battle of Tarawa (Operation Galvanic) begins: United States Marines land on Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands and suffer heavy fire from Japanese shore guns and machine guns.
- 1945Nuremberg trials: Trials against 24 Nazi war criminals start at the Palace of Justice at Nuremberg.
- 1947The Princess Elizabeth marries Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, who becomes the Duke of Edinburgh, at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 1952Slánský trials: A series of Stalinist and anti-Semitic show trials in Czechoslovakia.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis ends: In response to the Soviet Union agreeing to remove its missiles from Cuba, U.S. President John F. Kennedy ends the quarantine of the Caribbean nation.
- 1968A total of 78 miners are killed in an explosion at the Consolidated Coal Company’s No. 9 mine in Farmington, West Virginia in the Farmington Mine disaster
- 1969Vietnam War: The Plain Dealer publishes explicit photographs of dead villagers from the My Lai Massacre in Vietnam.
- 1969Occupation of Alcatraz: Native American activists seize control of Alcatraz Island until being ousted by the U.S. Government on June 11, 1971.
- 1974The United States Department of Justice files its final anti-trust suit against AT&T Corporation. This suit later leads to the breakup of AT&T and its Bell System.
- 1977Egyptian President Anwar Sadat becomes the first Arab leader to officially visit Israel, when he meets Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin and speaks before the Knesset in Jerusalem, seeking a permanent peace settlement.
- 1979Grand Mosque Seizure: About 200 Sunni Muslims revolt in Saudi Arabia at the site of the Kaaba in Mecca during the pilgrimage and take about 6000 hostages. The Saudi government receives help from Pakistani special forces to put down the uprising.
- 1980Lake Peigneur drains into an underlying salt deposit. A misplaced Texaco oil probe had been drilled into the Diamond Crystal Salt Mine, causing water to flow down into the mine, eroding the edges of the hole.
- 1982The General Union of Ecuadorian Workers (UGTE) is founded.
Curious about this Golden Creme Sandwich? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!