The following events took place on November 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 498After the death of Anastasius II, Symmachus is elected Pope in the Lateran Palace, while Laurentius is elected Pope in Santa Maria Maggiore.
- 845The first King of all Brittany, Nominoe, defeats the Frankish king Charles the Bald at the Battle of Ballon near Redon.
- 1307Pope Clement V issues the papal bull Pastoralis Praeeminentiae which instructed all Christian monarchs in Europe to arrest all Templars and seize their assets.
- 1574Discovery of the Juan Fernández Islands off Chile.
- 1635Dutch colonial forces on Taiwan launch a pacification campaign against native villages, resulting in Dutch control of the middle and south of the island.
- 1718Off the coast of North Carolina, British pirate Edward Teach (best known as “Blackbeard”) is killed in battle with a boarding party led by Royal Navy Lieutenant Robert Maynard.
- 1812War of 1812: Seventeen Indiana Rangers are killed at the Battle of Wild Cat Creek.
- 1837Canadian journalist and politician William Lyon Mackenzie calls for a rebellion against the United Kingdom in his essay “To the People of Upper Canada”, published in his newspaper The Constitution.
- 1858Denver, Colorado, is founded.
- 1864American Civil War: Sherman’s March to the Sea: Confederate General John Bell Hood invades Tennessee in an unsuccessful attempt to draw Union General William T. Sherman from Georgia.
- 1869In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper Cutty Sark is launched and is one of the last clippers ever built, and the only one still surviving today.
- 1908The Congress of Manastir establishes the Albanian alphabet.
- 1928The premier performance of Ravel’s Boléro takes place in Paris.
- 1931Al-Mina'a SC was founded in Iraq.
- 1935The China Clipper, the first plane to offer commercial transpacific air service, takes off from Alameda, California, for its first commercial flight. It reaches its destination, Manila, a week later.
- 1940World War II: Following the initial Italian invasion, Greek troops counterattack into Italian-occupied Albania and capture Korytsa.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Stalingrad: General Friedrich Paulus sends Adolf Hitler a telegram saying that the German 6th Army is surrounded.
- 1943World War II: Cairo Conference: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Chinese Premier Chiang Kai-shek meet in Cairo, Egypt, to discuss ways to defeat Japan.
- 1943Lebanon gains independence from France.
- 1954The Humane Society of the United States is founded.
- 1963In Dallas, Texas, US President John F. Kennedy is assassinated and Texas Governor John Connally is seriously wounded. Suspect Lee Harvey Oswald is later captured and charged with the murder of both the President and police officer J. D. Tippit. Oswald is shot dead two days later by Jack Ruby while in police custody. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson, becomes President upon Kennedy’s death.
- 1967UN Security Council Resolution 242 is adopted, establishing a set of the principles aimed at guiding negotiations for an Arab–Israeli peace settlement.
- 1968The Beatles release The Beatles (known popularly as The White Album).
- 1973The Italian Fascist organization Ordine Nuovo is disbanded.
- 1974The United Nations General Assembly grants the Palestine Liberation Organization observer status.
- 1975Juan Carlos is declared King of Spain following the death of Francisco Franco.
- 1977British Airways inaugurates a regular London to New York City supersonic Concorde service.
- 1986Mike Tyson defeats Trevor Berbick to become youngest Heavyweight champion in boxing history.
- 1987Two Chicago television stations are hijacked by an unknown pirate dressed as Max Headroom.
- 1988In Palmdale, California, the first prototype B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is revealed.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Javier’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)