The following events took place on November 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 33 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 380Theodosius I makes his adventus, or formal entry, into Constantinople.
- 1227Polish Prince Leszek I the White is assassinated at an assembly of Piast dukes at Gąsawa.
- 1248In the middle of the night a mass on the north side of Mont Granier suddenly collapsed, in one of the largest historical rockslope failures known in Europe.
- 1429Hundred Years’ War: Joan of Arc unsuccessfully besieges La Charité.
- 1542Battle of Solway Moss: An English army defeats a much larger Scottish force near the River Esk in Dumfries and Galloway.
- 1642Abel Tasman becomes the first European to discover the island Van Diemen’s Land (later renamed Tasmania).
- 1835The Texas Provincial Government authorizes the creation of a horse-mounted police force called the Texas Rangers (which is now the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety).
- 1850Danish troops defeat a Schleswig-Holstein force in the town of Lottorf, Schleswig-Holstein.
- 1859Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Lookout Mountain: Near Chattanooga, Tennessee, Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant capture Lookout Mountain and begin to break the Confederate siege of the city led by General Braxton Bragg.
- 1877Anna Sewell’s classic animal welfare novel Black Beauty is published.
- 1906A 13–6 victory by the Massillon Tigers over their rivals, the Canton Bulldogs, for the “Ohio League” Championship, leads to accusations that the championship series was fixed and results in the first major scandal in professional American football.
- 1917In Milwaukee, nine members of the Milwaukee Police Department are killed by a bomb, the most deaths in a single event in U.S. police history until the September 11 attacks in 2001.
- 1922Nine Irish Republican Army members are executed by an Irish Free State firing squad. Among them is author Robert Erskine Childers, who had been arrested for illegally carrying a revolver.
- 1932In Washington, D.C., the FBI Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory (better known as the FBI Crime Lab) officially opens.
- 1935The Senegalese Socialist Party holds its second congress.
- 1940World War II: The First Slovak Republic becomes a signatory to the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis powers.
- 1941World War II: The United States grants Lend-Lease to the Free French Forces.
- 1943World War II: The USS Liscome Bay is torpedoed near Tarawa and sinks, killing 650 men.
- 1944World War II: Bombing of Tokyo: The first bombing raid against the Japanese capital from the east and by land is carried out by 88 American aircraft.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)