The following events took place on October 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 456Magister militum Ricimer defeats Emperor Avitus at Piacenza and becomes master of the Western Roman Empire.
- 690Empress Wu Zetian ascends to the throne of the Tang dynasty and proclaims herself ruler of the Chinese Empire.
- 1384Jadwiga is crowned King of Poland, although she is a woman.
- 1590Carlo Gesualdo, composer, Prince of Venosa and Count of Conza, murders his wife, Donna Maria d'Avalos, and her lover Fabrizio Carafa, the Duke of Andria at the Palazzo San Severo in Naples.
- 1780Royalton, Vermont and Tunbridge, Vermont are the last major raids of the American Revolutionary War.
- 1781George Washington captures Yorktown, Virginia after the Siege of Yorktown.
- 1793Marie Antoinette, widow of Louis XVI, is guillotined at the height of the French Revolution.
- 1793The Battle of Wattignies ends in a French victory.
- 1813The Sixth Coalition attacks Napoleon Bonaparte in the Battle of Leipzig.
- 1834Much of the ancient structure of the Palace of Westminster in London burns to the ground.
- 1841Queen’s University is founded in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- 1843Sir William Rowan Hamilton comes up with the idea of quaternions, a non-commutative extension of complex numbers.
- 1846William T. G. Morton first demonstrated ether anesthesia at the Massachusetts General Hospital in the Ether Dome.
- 1859John Brown leads a raid on Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
- 1869The Cardiff Giant, one of the most famous American hoaxes, is “discovered”.
- 1869Girton College, Cambridge is founded, becoming England’s first residential college for women.
- 1875Brigham Young University is founded in Provo, Utah.
- 1882The Nickel Plate Railroad opens for business.
- 1905The Partition of Bengal in India takes place.
- 1906The Captain of Köpenick fools the city hall of Köpenick and several soldiers by impersonating a Prussian officer.
- 1909William Howard Taft and Porfirio Díaz hold a summit, a first between a U.S. and a Mexican president, and they only narrowly escape assassination.
- 1916In Brooklyn, New York, Margaret Sanger opens the first family planning clinic in the United States.
- 1923The Walt Disney Company is founded by Walt Disney and his brother, Roy Disney.
- 1934Chinese Communists begin the Long March; it ended a year and four days later, by which time Mao Zedong had regained his title as party chairman.
- 1939World War II: First attack on British territory by the German Luftwaffe.
- 1940Holocaust: The Warsaw Ghetto is established.
- 1943Holocaust: Raid of the Ghetto of Rome
- 1944Wally Walrus, Woody Woodpecker’s first steady foil, debuts in the The Beach Nut, a Walter Lantz’s cartoon.
- 1945The Food and Agriculture Organization is founded in Quebec City, Canada.
- 1946Nuremberg trials: Execution of the convicted Nazi leaders of the Main Trial.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rene’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)