The following events took place on October 17. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 456Battle of Placentia: Ricimer, supported by Majorian (comes domesticorum), defeats the Roman usurper Avitus near Piacenza (Northern Italy) .
- 1091London tornado of 1091: A tornado thought to be of strength T8/F4 strikes the heart of London.
- 1346Battle of Neville’s Cross: King David II of Scotland is captured by the English near Durham, and imprisoned in the Tower of London for eleven years.
- 1448Second Battle of Kosovo, where the mainly Hungarian army led by John Hunyadi is defeated by an Ottoman army led by Sultan Murad II.
- 1456The University of Greifswald is established, making it the second oldest university in northern Europe (also for a period the oldest in Sweden, and Prussia).
- 1558Poczta Polska, the Polish postal service, is founded.
- 1604Kepler’s Supernova: German astronomer Johannes Kepler observes a supernova in the constellation Ophiuchus.
- 1610French king Louis XIII is crowned in Reims Cathedral.
- 1660Nine regicides, the men who signed the death warrant of Charles I, are hanged, drawn and quartered.
- 1662Charles II of England sells Dunkirk to France for 40,000 pounds.
- 1771Premiere in Milan of the opera Ascanio in Alba, composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, age 15.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British General John Burgoyne surrenders his army at Saratoga, New York.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: British General Charles, Earl Cornwallis surrenders at the Siege of Yorktown.
- 1800Britain takes control of the Dutch colony of Curaçao.
- 1806Former leader of the Haitian Revolution, Emperor Jacques I of Haiti is assassinated after an oppressive rule.
- 1814Eight people die in the London Beer Flood.
- 1860First The Open Championship (referred to in North America as the British Open).
- 1861Nineteen people are killed in the Cullin-la-ringo massacre, the deadliest massacre of Europeans by aborigines in Australian history.
- 1888Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- 1905The October Manifesto issued by Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.
- 1907Guglielmo Marconi’s company begins the first commercial transatlantic wireless service between Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and Clifden, Ireland.
- 1912Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia declare war on the Ottoman Empire, joining Montenegro in the First Balkan War.
- 1917First British bombing of Germany in World War I.
- 1918Haitian rebels attack the barracks of the Gendarmerie of Haiti, igniting the Second Caco War
- 1919RCA is incorporated as the Radio Corporation of America.
- 1931Al Capone is convicted of income tax evasion.
- 1933Albert Einstein flees Nazi Germany and moves to the United States.
- 1940The body of Communist propagandist Willi Münzenberg found in South France, starting a never-resolved mystery.
- 1941World War II: a German submarine attacks an American ship for the first time in the war.
- 1941German troops execute the male population of the villages Kerdyllia in Serres, Greece.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QVCUNNUI? Check your answers here: Unscramble words QVCUNNUI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)