The following events took place on October 17. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 31 - 54.
- 1943The Burma Railway (Burma–Thailand Railway) is completed.
- 1943The Holocaust: Sobibór extermination camp is closed.
- 1945A massive number of people, headed by CGT, gather in the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires, Argentina to demand Juan Perón’s release. It calls “el día de la lealtad peronista” (peronista loyalty day)
- 1945Archbishop Damaskinos of Athens becomes Prime Minister of Greece between the pull-out of the German occupation force in 1944 and the return of King Georgios II to Greece.
- 1956The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- 1956Donald Byrne and Bobby Fischer play a famous chess game called The Game of the Century. Fischer beat Byrne and wins a Brilliancy prize.
- 1961Scores of Algerian protesters (some claim up to 400) are massacred by the Paris police at the instigation of former Nazi collaborator Maurice Papon, then chief of the Prefecture of Police.
- 1964Prime Minister of Australia Robert Menzies opens the artificial Lake Burley Griffin in the middle of the capital Canberra.
- 1965The 1964–65 New York World’s Fair closes after a two-year run. More than 51 million people had attended the event.
- 1966A fire at a building in New York City kills 12 firefighters, the fire department’s deadliest day until the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- 1966Botswana and Lesotho join the United Nations.
- 1970Montreal: Quebec Vice-Premier and Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte murdered by members of the FLQ terrorist group.
- 1973OPEC imposes an oil embargo against a number of Western countries, considered to have helped Israel in its war against Egypt and Syria.
- 1977German Autumn: Four days after it is hijacked, Lufthansa Flight 181 lands in Mogadishu, Somalia, where a team of German GSG 9 commandos later rescues all remaining hostages on board.
- 1979Mother Teresa is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1979The Department of Education Organization Act is signed into law creating the US Department of Education and US Department of Health and Human Services.
- 1980As part of the Holy See–United Kingdom relations a British monarch makes the first state visit to the Vatican
- 19891989 Loma Prieta earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) hits the San Francisco Bay Area and causes 57 deaths directly (and 6 indirectly).
- 1989Peaceful Revolution: The East German Politburo votes to remove Erich Honecker from his role as General Secretary of the Socialist Unity Party of Germany.
- 1992Having gone to the wrong house for a Halloween party, Japanese exchange student Yoshihiro Hattori is shot and killed by the homeowner in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1994Russian journalist Dmitry Kholodov is assassinated while investigating corruption in the armed forces.
- 2000Train crash at Hatfield, north of London, leading to collapse of Railtrack.
- 2001Israeli tourism minister Rehavam Ze'evi becomes the first Israeli minister to be assassinated in a terrorist attack.
- 2003The pinnacle is fitted on the roof of Taipei 101, a 101-floor skyscraper in Taipei, allowing it to surpass the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur by 56 m and become the world’s tallest highrise.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Landon’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)