The following events took place on October 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 202 BCSecond Punic War: At the Battle of Zama, Roman legions under Scipio Africanus defeat Hannibal Barca, leader of the army defending Carthage.
- 439The Vandals, led by King Gaiseric, take Carthage in North Africa.
- 1216King John of England dies at Newark-on-Trent and is succeeded by his nine-year-old son Henry.
- 1386The Universität Heidelberg held its first lecture, making it the oldest German university.
- 1466The Thirteen Years’ War ends with the Second Treaty of Thorn.
- 1469Ferdinand II of Aragon marries Isabella I of Castile, a marriage that paves the way to the unification of Aragon and Castile into a single country, Spain.
- 1512Martin Luther becomes a doctor of theology (Doctor in Biblia).
- 1649New Ross town, County Wexford, Ireland, surrenders to Oliver Cromwell.
- 1781At Yorktown, Virginia, representatives of British commander Lord Cornwallis handed over Cornwallis’ sword and formally surrendered to George Washington and the comte de Rochambeau.
- 1789Chief Justice John Jay is sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Austrian General Mack surrenders his army to the Grande Armée of Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Ulm. Thirty thousand prisoners are captured and 10,000 casualties inflicted on the losers.
- 1812Napoleon Bonaparte retreats from Moscow.
- 1813The Battle of Leipzig concludes, giving Napoleon Bonaparte one of his worst defeats.
- 1822In Parnaíba; Simplício Dias da Silva, João Cândido de Deus e Silva and Domingos Dias declare the independent state of Piauí.
- 1864Battle of Cedar Creek: Union Army under Philip Sheridan destroys a Confederate Army under Jubal Early.
- 1864St. Albans Raid: Confederate raiders launch an attack on Saint Albans, Vermont from Canada.
- 1866Venice, Annexion of Veneto and Mantua to Italy, at Hotel Europa, Austria hands over Veneto to France, which hands it immediately over to Italy.
- 1900Max Planck, in his house at Grunewald, on the outskirts of Berlin, discovers the law of black-body radiation (Planck’s law).
- 1904Polytechnic University of the Philippines founded as Manila Business School through the superintendence of the American C.A. O'Reilley.
- 1912Italy takes possession of Tripoli, Libya from the Ottoman Empire.
- 1914The First Battle of Ypres begins.
- 1917The Love Field in Dallas is opened.
- 1921Portuguese Prime Minister António Granjo and other politicians are murdered in a Lisbon coup.
- 1922British Conservative MPs meeting at the Carlton Club vote to break off the Coalition Government with David Lloyd George of the Liberal Party.
- 1933Germany withdraws from the League of Nations.
- 1935The League of Nations places economic sanctions on fascist Italy for its invasion of Ethiopia.
- 1943The cargo vessel Sinfra is attacked by Allied aircraft at Souda Bay, Crete, and sunk. Two thousand ninety-eight Italian prisoners of war drown with it.
- 1943Streptomycin, the first antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, is isolated by researchers at Rutgers University.
- 1944United States forces land in the Philippines.
- 1950The People’s Liberation Army takes control of the town of Chamdo; this is sometimes called the “Invasion of Tibet”.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!