The following events took place on October 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 202 BCSecond Punic War: At the Battle of Zama, Roman legions under Scipio Africanus defeat Hannibal Barca, leader of the army defending Carthage.
- 439The Vandals, led by King Gaiseric, take Carthage in North Africa.
- 1216King John of England dies at Newark-on-Trent and is succeeded by his nine-year-old son Henry.
- 1386The Universität Heidelberg held its first lecture, making it the oldest German university.
- 1466The Thirteen Years’ War ends with the Second Treaty of Thorn.
- 1469Ferdinand II of Aragon marries Isabella I of Castile, a marriage that paves the way to the unification of Aragon and Castile into a single country, Spain.
- 1512Martin Luther becomes a doctor of theology (Doctor in Biblia).
- 1649New Ross town, County Wexford, Ireland, surrenders to Oliver Cromwell.
- 1781At Yorktown, Virginia, representatives of British commander Lord Cornwallis handed over Cornwallis’ sword and formally surrendered to George Washington and the comte de Rochambeau.
- 1789Chief Justice John Jay is sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Austrian General Mack surrenders his army to the Grande Armée of Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Ulm. Thirty thousand prisoners are captured and 10,000 casualties inflicted on the losers.
- 1812Napoleon Bonaparte retreats from Moscow.
- 1813The Battle of Leipzig concludes, giving Napoleon Bonaparte one of his worst defeats.
- 1822In Parnaíba; Simplício Dias da Silva, João Cândido de Deus e Silva and Domingos Dias declare the independent state of Piauí.
- 1864Battle of Cedar Creek: Union Army under Philip Sheridan destroys a Confederate Army under Jubal Early.
- 1864St. Albans Raid: Confederate raiders launch an attack on Saint Albans, Vermont from Canada.
- 1866Venice, Annexion of Veneto and Mantua to Italy, at Hotel Europa, Austria hands over Veneto to France, which hands it immediately over to Italy.
- 1900Max Planck, in his house at Grunewald, on the outskirts of Berlin, discovers the law of black-body radiation (Planck’s law).
- 1904Polytechnic University of the Philippines founded as Manila Business School through the superintendence of the American C.A. O'Reilley.
- 1912Italy takes possession of Tripoli, Libya from the Ottoman Empire.
- 1914The First Battle of Ypres begins.
- 1917The Love Field in Dallas is opened.
- 1921Portuguese Prime Minister António Granjo and other politicians are murdered in a Lisbon coup.
- 1922British Conservative MPs meeting at the Carlton Club vote to break off the Coalition Government with David Lloyd George of the Liberal Party.
- 1933Germany withdraws from the League of Nations.
- 1935The League of Nations places economic sanctions on fascist Italy for its invasion of Ethiopia.
- 1943The cargo vessel Sinfra is attacked by Allied aircraft at Souda Bay, Crete, and sunk. Two thousand ninety-eight Italian prisoners of war drown with it.
- 1943Streptomycin, the first antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, is isolated by researchers at Rutgers University.
- 1944United States forces land in the Philippines.
- 1950The People’s Liberation Army takes control of the town of Chamdo; this is sometimes called the “Invasion of Tibet”.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)