The following events took place on October 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 60 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 4004 BCThe world was created at approximately six o'clock in the evening, according to the Ussher chronology.
- 362The temple of Apollo at Daphne, outside Antioch, is destroyed in a mysterious fire.
- 451The Council of Chalcedon adopts the Chalcedonian Creed regarding the divine and human nature of Jesus Christ.
- 794Emperor Kanmu relocates the Japanese capital to Heiankyo (now Kyoto).
- 1383The 1383–85 Crisis in Portugal: King Fernando dies without a male heir to the Portuguese throne, sparking a period of civil war and disorder.
- 1575Foundation of Aguascalientes.
- 1633Battle of Liaoluo Bay: The Ming dynasty defeats the Dutch East India Company.
- 1707Scilly naval disaster: four British Royal Navy ships run aground near the Isles of Scilly because of faulty navigation. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell and thousands of sailors drown.
- 1730Construction of the Ladoga Canal is completed.
- 1746The College of New Jersey (later renamed Princeton University) receives its charter.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American defenders of Fort Mercer on the Delaware River repulse repeated Hessian attacks in the Battle of Red Bank.
- 1784Russia founds a colony on Kodiak Island, Alaska.
- 1790Warriors of the Miami people under Chief Little Turtle defeat United States troops under General Josiah Harmar at the site of present-day Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the Northwest Indian War.
- 1797André-Jacques Garnerin makes the first recorded parachute jump from one thousand meters (3,200 feet) above Paris.
- 1836Sam Houston is inaugurated as the first President of the Republic of Texas.
- 1844The Great Anticipation: Millerites, followers of William Miller, anticipate the end of the world in conjunction with the Second Advent of Christ. The following day became known as the Great Disappointment.
- 1859Spain declares war on Morocco.
- 1866A plebiscite ratifies the annexion of Veneto and Mantua to Italy, occurred three days before, on October 19.
- 1875First telegraphic connection in Argentina.
- 1877The Blantyre mining disaster in Scotland kills 207 miners.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)