The following events took place on October 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 60 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 4004 BCThe world was created at approximately six o'clock in the evening, according to the Ussher chronology.
- 362The temple of Apollo at Daphne, outside Antioch, is destroyed in a mysterious fire.
- 451The Council of Chalcedon adopts the Chalcedonian Creed regarding the divine and human nature of Jesus Christ.
- 794Emperor Kanmu relocates the Japanese capital to Heiankyo (now Kyoto).
- 1383The 1383–85 Crisis in Portugal: King Fernando dies without a male heir to the Portuguese throne, sparking a period of civil war and disorder.
- 1575Foundation of Aguascalientes.
- 1633Battle of Liaoluo Bay: The Ming dynasty defeats the Dutch East India Company.
- 1707Scilly naval disaster: four British Royal Navy ships run aground near the Isles of Scilly because of faulty navigation. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell and thousands of sailors drown.
- 1730Construction of the Ladoga Canal is completed.
- 1746The College of New Jersey (later renamed Princeton University) receives its charter.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American defenders of Fort Mercer on the Delaware River repulse repeated Hessian attacks in the Battle of Red Bank.
- 1784Russia founds a colony on Kodiak Island, Alaska.
- 1790Warriors of the Miami people under Chief Little Turtle defeat United States troops under General Josiah Harmar at the site of present-day Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the Northwest Indian War.
- 1797André-Jacques Garnerin makes the first recorded parachute jump from one thousand meters (3,200 feet) above Paris.
- 1836Sam Houston is inaugurated as the first President of the Republic of Texas.
- 1844The Great Anticipation: Millerites, followers of William Miller, anticipate the end of the world in conjunction with the Second Advent of Christ. The following day became known as the Great Disappointment.
- 1859Spain declares war on Morocco.
- 1866A plebiscite ratifies the annexion of Veneto and Mantua to Italy, occurred three days before, on October 19.
- 1875First telegraphic connection in Argentina.
- 1877The Blantyre mining disaster in Scotland kills 207 miners.
- 1878The first rugby match under floodlights takes place in Salford, between Broughton and Swinton.
- 1879Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
- 1883The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City opens with a performance of Gounod’s Faust.
- 1884Greenwich, in London, England, is adopted as Universal Time meridian of longitude by the International Meridian Conference.
- 1895In Paris an express train derails after overrunning the buffer stop, crossing almost 30 m of concourse before crashing through a wall and falling 10 m to the road below.
- 1907Panic of 1907: A run on the stock of the Knickerbocker Trust Company sets events in motion that will lead to a depression.
- 1910Dr. Crippen is convicted at the Old Bailey of poisoning his wife and is subsequently hanged at Pentonville Prison in London.
- 1923The royalist Leonardopoulos–Gargalidis coup d'état attempt fails in Greece, discrediting the monarchy and paving the way for the establishment of the Second Hellenic Republic.
- 1924Toastmasters International is founded.
- 1926J. Gordon Whitehead sucker punches magician Harry Houdini in the stomach in Montreal, precipitating his death.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!