The following events took place on October 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 42 BCLiberators’ civil war: Second Battle of Philippi – Mark Antony and Octavian decisively defeat Brutus’s army. Brutus commits suicide.
- 425Valentinian III is elevated as Roman emperor at the age of six.
- 501The Synodus Palmaris, called by Gothic king Theoderic the Great, discharges Pope Symmachus of all charges, thus ending the schism of Antipope Laurentius.
- 1086At the Battle of Sagrajas, the army of Yusuf ibn Tashfin defeats the forces of Castilian King Alfonso VI.
- 1157The Battle of Grathe Heath ends the civil war in Denmark. King Sweyn III is killed and Valdemar I restores the country.
- 1295The first treaty forming the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France against England is signed in Paris.
- 1641Irish Catholic gentry from Ulster tried to seize control of Dublin Castle, the seat of English rule in Ireland, to force concessions to Catholics.
- 1642Battle of Edgehill: First major battle of the First English Civil War.
- 1694British/American colonial forces, led by Sir William Phips, fail to seize Quebec from the French.
- 1707The first Parliament of Great Britain meets.
- 1739War of Jenkins’ Ear starts: British Prime Minister Robert Walpole, reluctantly declares war on Spain.
- 1812Claude François de Malet, a French general, begins a conspiracy to overthrow Napoleon Bonaparte, claiming that the Emperor died in Russia and that he is now the commandant of Paris.
- 1850The first National Women’s Rights Convention begins in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States.
- 1861U.S. President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C., for all military-related cases.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Westport: Union forces under General Samuel R. Curtis defeat Confederate troops led by General Sterling Price at Westport, near Kansas City.
- 1867Seventy-two Senators are summoned by Royal Proclamation to serve as the first members of the Canadian Senate.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Siege of Metz concludes with a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1906Alberto Santos-Dumont flies an airplane in the first heavier-than-air flight in Europe at Champs de Bagatelle, Paris, France.
- 1911First use of aircraft in war: Italo-Turkish War: An Italian pilot takes off from Libya to observe Turkish army lines.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo between the Serbian and Ottoman armies begins.
- 1915Women’s suffrage: In New York City, 25,000–33,000 women march on Fifth Avenue to advocate their right to vote.
- 1917Lenin calls for the October Revolution.
- 1929Great Depression: After a steady decline in stock market prices since a peak in September, the New York Stock Exchange begins to show signs of panic.
- 1935Dutch Schultz, Abe Landau, Otto Berman, and Bernard “Lulu” Rosencrantz are fatally shot at a saloon in Newark, New Jersey in what will become known as The Chophouse Massacre.
- 1939The Japanese Mitsubishi G4M twin-engine “Betty” Bomber makes its maiden flight.
- 1941World War II: Field Marshal Georgy Zhukov takes command of Red Army operations to prevent the further advance into Russia of German forces and to prevent the Wehrmacht from capturing Moscow.
- 1942World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein: At El Alamein in northern Egypt, the British Eighth Army under Field Marshal Montgomery begins a critical offensive to expel the Axis armies from Egypt.
- 1942All 12 passengers and crewmen aboard an American Airlines DC-3 airliner are killed when it is struck by a U.S. Army Air Forces bomber near Palm Springs, California. Amongst the victims is award-winning composer and songwriter Ralph Rainger (“Thanks for the Memory”, “Love in Bloom”, “Blue Hawaii”).
- 1942World War II: The Battle for Henderson Field begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign and ends on October 26.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Leyte Gulf: The largest naval battle in history begins in the Philippines.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)