The following events took place on October 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 42 BCLiberators’ civil war: Second Battle of Philippi – Mark Antony and Octavian decisively defeat Brutus’s army. Brutus commits suicide.
- 425Valentinian III is elevated as Roman emperor at the age of six.
- 501The Synodus Palmaris, called by Gothic king Theoderic the Great, discharges Pope Symmachus of all charges, thus ending the schism of Antipope Laurentius.
- 1086At the Battle of Sagrajas, the army of Yusuf ibn Tashfin defeats the forces of Castilian King Alfonso VI.
- 1157The Battle of Grathe Heath ends the civil war in Denmark. King Sweyn III is killed and Valdemar I restores the country.
- 1295The first treaty forming the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France against England is signed in Paris.
- 1641Irish Catholic gentry from Ulster tried to seize control of Dublin Castle, the seat of English rule in Ireland, to force concessions to Catholics.
- 1642Battle of Edgehill: First major battle of the First English Civil War.
- 1694British/American colonial forces, led by Sir William Phips, fail to seize Quebec from the French.
- 1707The first Parliament of Great Britain meets.
- 1739War of Jenkins’ Ear starts: British Prime Minister Robert Walpole, reluctantly declares war on Spain.
- 1812Claude François de Malet, a French general, begins a conspiracy to overthrow Napoleon Bonaparte, claiming that the Emperor died in Russia and that he is now the commandant of Paris.
- 1850The first National Women’s Rights Convention begins in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States.
- 1861U.S. President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C., for all military-related cases.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Westport: Union forces under General Samuel R. Curtis defeat Confederate troops led by General Sterling Price at Westport, near Kansas City.
- 1867Seventy-two Senators are summoned by Royal Proclamation to serve as the first members of the Canadian Senate.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Siege of Metz concludes with a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1906Alberto Santos-Dumont flies an airplane in the first heavier-than-air flight in Europe at Champs de Bagatelle, Paris, France.
- 1911First use of aircraft in war: Italo-Turkish War: An Italian pilot takes off from Libya to observe Turkish army lines.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo between the Serbian and Ottoman armies begins.
- 1915Women’s suffrage: In New York City, 25,000–33,000 women march on Fifth Avenue to advocate their right to vote.
- 1917Lenin calls for the October Revolution.
- 1929Great Depression: After a steady decline in stock market prices since a peak in September, the New York Stock Exchange begins to show signs of panic.
- 1935Dutch Schultz, Abe Landau, Otto Berman, and Bernard “Lulu” Rosencrantz are fatally shot at a saloon in Newark, New Jersey in what will become known as The Chophouse Massacre.
- 1939The Japanese Mitsubishi G4M twin-engine “Betty” Bomber makes its maiden flight.
- 1941World War II: Field Marshal Georgy Zhukov takes command of Red Army operations to prevent the further advance into Russia of German forces and to prevent the Wehrmacht from capturing Moscow.
- 1942World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein: At El Alamein in northern Egypt, the British Eighth Army under Field Marshal Montgomery begins a critical offensive to expel the Axis armies from Egypt.
- 1942All 12 passengers and crewmen aboard an American Airlines DC-3 airliner are killed when it is struck by a U.S. Army Air Forces bomber near Palm Springs, California. Amongst the victims is award-winning composer and songwriter Ralph Rainger (“Thanks for the Memory”, “Love in Bloom”, “Blue Hawaii”).
- 1942World War II: The Battle for Henderson Field begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign and ends on October 26.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Leyte Gulf: The largest naval battle in history begins in the Philippines.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)