The following events took place on October 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 69Second Battle of Bedriacum, forces under Marcus Antonius Primus, the commander of the Danube armies, loyal to Vespasian, defeat the forces of Emperor Vitellius.
- 1260Chartres Cathedral is dedicated in the presence of King Louis IX of France; the cathedral is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 1260Saif ad-Din Qutuz, Mamluk sultan of Egypt, is assassinated by Baibars, who seizes power for himself.
- 1360The Treaty of Brétigny is ratified at Calais, marking the end of the first phase of the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1590John White, the governor of the second Roanoke Colony, returns to England after an unsuccessful search for the “lost” colonists.
- 1641Sir Felim O'Neill of Kinard the leader of the Irish Rebellion issues his Proclamation of Dungannon justifying the uprising and declaring continued loyalty to Charles I
- 1648The Peace of Westphalia is signed, marking the end of the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1795Partitions of Poland: The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth is completely divided among Austria, Prussia, and Russia.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Maloyaroslavets takes place near Moscow.
- 1851William Lassell discovers the moons Umbriel, and Ariel, orbiting Uranus.
- 1857Sheffield F.C., the world’s oldest association football club still in operation, is founded in Sheffield, England.
- 1861The first transcontinental telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express.
- 1901Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
- 1911Orville Wright remains in the air nine minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Lozengrad concludes with the Bulgarian victory against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo concludes with the Serbian victory against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1917Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat by the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Austro-Italian front of World War I (lasts until 19 November - also called Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo).
- 1917Bolshevik Red Guards began takeover of buildings in Russia, among the first events associated with the October Revolution.
- 1926Harry Houdini’s last performance takes place at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit.
- 1929“Black Thursday” stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1930A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Vargas is then installed as “provisional president”.
- 1931The George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic.
- 1943The Provisional Government of Free India formally declares war on Britain and the United States of America.
- 1944World War II: The Japanese aircraft carrier Zuikaku and the Japanese battleship Musashi are sunk by American aircraft in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
- 1945Founding of the United Nations.
- 1946A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.
- 1947Famed animator Walt Disney testifies before the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists.
- 1949The cornerstone of the United Nations Headquarters is laid.
- 1954Dwight D. Eisenhower pledges United States support to South Vietnam.
- 1957The United States Air Force starts the X-20 Dyna-Soar program.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!