The following events took place on October 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 69Second Battle of Bedriacum, forces under Marcus Antonius Primus, the commander of the Danube armies, loyal to Vespasian, defeat the forces of Emperor Vitellius.
- 1260Chartres Cathedral is dedicated in the presence of King Louis IX of France; the cathedral is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 1260Saif ad-Din Qutuz, Mamluk sultan of Egypt, is assassinated by Baibars, who seizes power for himself.
- 1360The Treaty of Brétigny is ratified at Calais, marking the end of the first phase of the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1590John White, the governor of the second Roanoke Colony, returns to England after an unsuccessful search for the “lost” colonists.
- 1641Sir Felim O'Neill of Kinard the leader of the Irish Rebellion issues his Proclamation of Dungannon justifying the uprising and declaring continued loyalty to Charles I
- 1648The Peace of Westphalia is signed, marking the end of the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1795Partitions of Poland: The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth is completely divided among Austria, Prussia, and Russia.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Maloyaroslavets takes place near Moscow.
- 1851William Lassell discovers the moons Umbriel, and Ariel, orbiting Uranus.
- 1857Sheffield F.C., the world’s oldest association football club still in operation, is founded in Sheffield, England.
- 1861The first transcontinental telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express.
- 1901Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
- 1911Orville Wright remains in the air nine minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Lozengrad concludes with the Bulgarian victory against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo concludes with the Serbian victory against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1917Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat by the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Austro-Italian front of World War I (lasts until 19 November - also called Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo).
- 1917Bolshevik Red Guards began takeover of buildings in Russia, among the first events associated with the October Revolution.
- 1926Harry Houdini’s last performance takes place at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit.
- 1929“Black Thursday” stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1930A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Vargas is then installed as “provisional president”.
- 1931The George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic.
- 1943The Provisional Government of Free India formally declares war on Britain and the United States of America.
- 1944World War II: The Japanese aircraft carrier Zuikaku and the Japanese battleship Musashi are sunk by American aircraft in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
- 1945Founding of the United Nations.
- 1946A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.
- 1947Famed animator Walt Disney testifies before the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists.
- 1949The cornerstone of the United Nations Headquarters is laid.
- 1954Dwight D. Eisenhower pledges United States support to South Vietnam.
- 1957The United States Air Force starts the X-20 Dyna-Soar program.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JHUUCOQS? Check your answers here: Word search JHUUCOQS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)