The following events took place on October 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 312Constantine the Great is said to have received his famous Vision of the Cross.
- 710Saracen invasion of Sardinia.
- 939Æthelstan, the first King of England, died and was succeeded by his half-brother, Edmund I.
- 1275Traditional founding of the city of Amsterdam.
- 1524Italian Wars: The French troops lay siege to Pavia.
- 1553Condemned as a heretic, Michael Servetus is burned at the stake just outside Geneva.
- 1644Second Battle of Newbury in the English Civil War.
- 1682Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is founded.
- 1795The United States and Spain sign the Treaty of Madrid, which establishes the boundaries between Spanish colonies and the U.S.
- 1806The French Army enters Berlin, following the Battle of Jena–Auerstedt.
- 1810United States annexes the former Spanish colony of West Florida.
- 1827Bellini’s third opera, Il pirata, is premiered at Teatro alla Scala di Milano
- 1838Missouri governor Lilburn Boggs issues the Extermination Order, which orders all Mormons to leave the state or be exterminated.
- 1870Marshal François Achille Bazaine surrenders to Prussian forces at the conclusion of the Siege of Metz along with 140,000 French soldiers in one of the biggest French defeats of the Franco-Prussian War.
- 1904The first underground New York City Subway line opens; the system becomes the biggest in United States, and one of the biggest in world.
- 1907Černová massacre: Fifteen people are killed in the Hungarian half of Austria-Hungary when a gunman opens fire on a crowd gathered at a church consecration. This would led to protests over the treatment of minorities in Austria-Hungary.
- 1914The British lose their first battleship of World War I: The British super-dreadnought battleship HMS Audacious (23,400 tons), is sunk off Tory Island, north-west of Ireland, by a minefield laid by the armed German merchant-cruiser Berlin.The loss was kept an official secret in Britain until 14 November 1918 (3 days after the end of the war). The sinking was witnessed and photographed by passengers on RMS Olympic sister ship of RMS Titanic.
- 1916Battle of Segale: Negus Mikael, marching on the Ethiopian capital in support of his son Emperor Iyasu V, is defeated by Fitawrari abte Giyorgis, securing the throne for Empress Zewditu I.
- 1922A referendum in Rhodesia rejects the country’s annexation to the South African Union.
- 1924The Uzbek SSR is founded in the Soviet Union.
- 1930Ratifications exchanged in London for the first London Naval Treaty, signed in April modifying the 1925 Washington Naval Treaty and the arms limitation treaty’s modified provisions, go into effect immediately, further limiting the expensive naval arms race among its five signatories.
- 1936Mrs Wallis Simpson files for divorce which would eventually allow her to marry King Edward VIII of the United Kingdom, thus forcing his abdication from the throne.
- 1944World War II: German forces capture Banská Bystrica during Slovak National Uprising thus bringing it to an end.
- 1948Léopold Sédar Senghor founds the Senegalese Democratic Bloc.
- 1953British nuclear test Totem 2 is carried out at Emu Field, South Australia.
- 1954Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. becomes the first African-American general in the United States Air Force.
- 1958Iskander Mirza, the first President of Pakistan, is deposed in a bloodless coup d'état by General Ayub Khan, who had been appointed the enforcer of martial law by Mirza 20 days earlier.
- 1961NASA tests the first Saturn I rocket in Mission Saturn-Apollo 1.
- 1961Mauritania and Mongolia join the United Nations.
- 1962Major Rudolf Anderson of the United States Air Force becomes the only direct human casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis when his U-2 reconnaissance airplane is shot down in Cuba by a Soviet-supplied SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missile.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)