The following events took place on October 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 637Antioch surrenders to the Muslim forces under Rashidun Caliphate after the Battle of the Iron Bridge.
- 758Guangzhou is sacked by Arab and Persian pirates.
- 1137Battle of Rignano between Ranulf of Apulia and Roger II of Sicily.
- 1270The Eighth Crusade and siege of Tunis end by an agreement between Charles I of Sicily (brother to King Louis IX of France, who had died months earlier) and the sultan of Tunis.
- 1340Portuguese and Castilian forces halt a Marinid invasion at the Battle of Río Salado.
- 1485King Henry VII of England is crowned.
- 1501Ballet of Chestnuts: A banquet held by Cesare Borgia in the Papal Palace where fifty prostitutes or courtesans are in attendance for the entertainment of the guests.
- 1534English Parliament passes Act of Supremacy, making King Henry VIII head of the English church - a role formerly held by the Pope.
- 1657Spanish forces fail to retake Jamaica at the Battle of Ocho Rios during the Anglo-Spanish War.
- 1806Believing he is facing a much larger force, Prussian Lieutenant General Friedrich von Romberg, commanding 5,300 men, surrendered the city of Stettin to 800 French soldiers commanded by General Lassalle.
- 1817The independent government of Venezuela is established by Simón Bolívar.
- 1831In Southampton County, Virginia, escaped slave Nat Turner is captured and arrested for leading the bloodiest slave rebellion in United States history.
- 1863Danish Prince Vilhelm arrives in Athens to assume his throne as George I, King of the Hellenes.
- 1864Second Schleswig War ends. Denmark renounces all claim to Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenburg, which come under Prussian and Austrian administration.
- 1864Helena, Montana is founded after four prospectors discover gold at “Last Chance Gulch”.
- 1888Rudd Concession granted by King Lobengula of Matabeleland to agents of Cecil Rhodes led by Charles Rudd.
- 1894Domenico Melegatti obtains a patent for a procedure to be applied in producing pandoro industrially.
- 1905Czar Nicholas II of Russia grants Russia’s first constitution, creating a legislative assembly.
- 1918The Ottoman Empire signs an armistice with the Allies, ending the First World War in the Middle East.
- 1920The Communist Party of Australia is founded in Sydney.
- 1922Benito Mussolini is made Prime Minister of Italy.
- 1925John Logie Baird creates Britain’s first television transmitter.
- 1929The Stuttgart Cable Car is constructed in Stuttgart, Germany.
- 1938Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells’s The War of the Worlds, causing anxiety in some of the audience in the United States.
- 1941World War II: Franklin Delano Roosevelt approves U.S. $1 billion in Lend-Lease aid to the Allied nations.
- 1941One thousand five hundred Jews from Pidhaytsi (in western Ukraine) are sent by Nazis to Bełżec extermination camp.
- 1942Lt. Tony Fasson, Able Seaman Colin Grazier and canteen assistant Tommy Brown from HMS Petard board U-559, retrieving material which would lead to the decryption of the German Enigma code.
- 1944Anne and Margot Frank are deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where they die from disease the following year, shortly before the end of WWII.
- 1945Jackie Robinson of the Kansas City Monarchs signs a contract for the Brooklyn Dodgers to break the baseball color barrier.
- 1947The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which is the foundation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), is founded.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IQFPWFFIEP? Check your answers here: Unscramble words IQFPWFFIEP. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)