The following events took place on October 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 456The Visigoths under king Theodoric II, acting on orders of the Roman emperor Avitus, invade Iberia with an army of Burgundians, Franks and Goths, led by the kings Chilperic I and Gondioc. They defeat the Suebi under king Rechiar on the river Urbicus near Astorga (Gallaecia).
- 610Coronation of Byzantine Emperor Heraclius.
- 816King Louis the Pious is crowned emperor of the Holy Roman Empire by Pope Stephen IV at Reims.
- 869The Fourth Council of Constantinople is convened to decide about what to do about patriarch Photius of Constantinople.
- 1143King Alfonso VII of León and Castile recognises Portugal as a Kingdom.
- 1450Jews are expelled from Lower Bavaria by order of Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria.
- 1550Foundation of Concepción, city in Chile.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1665The University of Kiel is founded.
- 1789French Revolution: Women of Paris march to Versailles in the March on Versailles to confront Louis XVI of France about his refusal to promulgate the decrees on the abolition of feudalism, demand bread, and have the King and his court moved to Paris.
- 1793French Revolution: Christianity is disestablished in France.
- 1813Battle of the Thames in Canada; Americans defeat British and kill Shawnee leader Tecumseh.
- 1857The City of Anaheim, California is founded.
- 1864The Indian city of Calcutta is almost totally destroyed by a cyclone; 60,000 die.
- 1869The Saxby Gale devastates the Bay of Fundy region of Maritime Canada. The storm had been predicted over a year before by a British naval officer.
- 1877Chief Joseph surrenders his Nez Perce band to General Nelson A. Miles.
- 1895The first individual time trial for racing cyclists is held on a 50-mile course north of London.
- 1903Sir Samuel Griffith is appointed the first Chief Justice of Australia and Sir Edmund Barton and Richard O'Connor are appointed as foundation justices.
- 1905Wilbur Wright pilots Wright Flyer III in a flight of 24 miles in 39 minutes, a world record that stood until 1908.
- 1910In a revolution in Portugal the monarchy is overthrown and a republic is declared.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)