The following events took place on October 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 314Roman Emperor Licinius is defeated by his colleague Constantine I at the Battle of Cibalae, and loses his European territories.
- 451At Chalcedon, a city of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the first session of the Council of Chalcedon begins (ends on November 1).
- 1075Dmitar Zvonimir is crowned King of Croatia.
- 1200Isabella of Angoulême is crowned Queen consort of England.
- 1322Mladen II Šubić of Bribir, defeated in the battle of Bliska, is arrested by the Parliament.
- 1480Great stand on the Ugra river, a standoff between the forces of Akhmat Khan, Khan of the Great Horde, and the Grand Duke Ivan III of Russia, which results in the retreat of the Tataro-Mongols and the eventual disintegration of the Horde.
- 1573End of the Spanish siege of Alkmaar, the first Dutch victory in Eighty Years’ War.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1600San Marino adopts its written constitution.
- 1645Jeanne Mance opened the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, the first lay hospital in North America.
- 1806Napoleonic Wars: Forces of the British Empire lay siege to the port of Boulogne in France by using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve.
- 1813The Treaty of Ried is signed between Bavaria and Austria.
- 1821The government of general José de San Martín establishes the Peruvian Navy.
- 1829Rail transport: Stephenson’s The Rocket wins The Rainhill Trials.
- 1856The Second Opium War between several western powers and China begins with the Arrow Incident on the Pearl River.
- 1860Telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Perryville: Union forces under General Don Carlos Buell halt the Confederate invasion of Kentucky by defeating troops led by General Braxton Bragg at Perryville, Kentucky.
- 1871Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- 1879War of the Pacific: The Chilean Navy defeats the Peruvian Navy in the Battle of Angamos, Peruvian Admiral Miguel Grau is killed in the encounter.
- 1895Eulmi incident: Queen Min of Joseon, the last empress of Korea, is assassinated and her corpse burnt by Japanese infiltrators inside Gyeongbok Palace.
- 1904Edmonton, Alberta is incorporated as a city.
- 1904Prince Albert, Saskatchewan is incorporated as a city.
- 1912First Balkan War begins: Montenegro declares war against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1918World War I: In the Argonne Forest in France, United States Corporal Alvin C. York kills 28 German soldiers and captures 132, for which he is awarded the Medal of Honor.
- 1921KDKA in Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
- 1928Joseph Szigeti gives the first performance of Alfredo Casella’s Violin Concerto.
- 1932The Indian Air Force is established.
- 1939World War II: Germany annexes Western Poland.
- 1941World War II: In their invasion of the Soviet Union, Germany reaches the Sea of Azov with the capture of Mariupol.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of Crucifix Hill occurs just outside Aachen. Capt. Bobbie Brown receives a Medal of Honor for his heroics in this battle.
Curious about this Sepia Choco Kokoro? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!