The following events took place on September 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 83 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1185Isaac II Angelos kills Stephen Hagiochristophorites and then appeals to the people, resulting in the revolt that deposes Andronikos I Komnenos and places Isaac on the throne of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1226The Roman Catholic practice of public adoration of the Blessed Sacrament outside of Mass spreads from monasteries to parishes.
- 1297Battle of Stirling Bridge: Scots jointly-led by William Wallace and Andrew Moray defeat the English.
- 1390Lithuanian Civil War (1389–92): The Teutonic Knights begin a five-week siege of Vilnius.
- 1541Santiago, Chile, is destroyed by indigenous warriors, led by Michimalonco.
- 1565Ottoman forces retreat from Malta ending the Great Siege of Malta.
- 1609Expulsion order announced against the Moriscos of Valencia; beginning of the expulsion of all Spain’s Moriscos.
- 1609Henry Hudson discovers Manhattan Island and the indigenous people living there.
- 1649Siege of Drogheda ends: Oliver Cromwell’s English Parliamentarian troops take the town and execute its garrison.
- 1697Battle of Zenta.
- 1708Charles XII of Sweden stops his march to conquer Moscow outside Smolensk, marking the turning point in the Great Northern War. The army is defeated nine months later in the Battle of Poltava, and the Swedish Empire ceases to be a major power.
- 1709Battle of Malplaquet: Great Britain, Netherlands and Austria fight against France.
- 1714Siege of Barcelona: Barcelona, capital city of Catalonia, surrenders to Spanish and French Bourbon armies in the War of the Spanish Succession.
- 1758Battle of Saint Cast: France repels British invasion during the Seven Years’ War.
- 1775Benedict Arnold’s expedition to Quebec leaves Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1776British–American peace conference on Staten Island fails to stop nascent American Revolutionary War.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: Battle of Brandywine: The British celebrate a major victory in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- 1786The beginning of the Annapolis Convention.
- 1789Alexander Hamilton is appointed the first United States Secretary of the Treasury.
- 1792The Hope Diamond is stolen along with other French crown jewels when six men break into the house where they are stored.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)