The following events took place on September 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 81Domitian becomes Emperor of the Roman Empire upon the death of his brother Titus.
- 326Helena of Constantinople discovers the True Cross and the Holy Sepulchre (Jesus’s tomb) in Jerusalem.
- 629Emperor Heraclius enters Constantinople in triumph after his victory over the Persian Empire.
- 786“Night of the three Caliphs”: Harun al-Rashid becomes the Abbasid caliph upon the death of his brother al-Hadi. Birth of Harun’s son al-Ma'mun.
- 1180Battle of Ishibashiyama in Japan.
- 1607Flight of the Earls from Lough Swilly, Donegal, Ireland.
- 1682Bishop Gore School, one of the oldest schools in Wales, is founded.
- 1741George Frideric Handel completes his oratorio Messiah
- 1752The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar, skipping eleven days (the previous day was September 2).
- 1763Seneca warriors defeat British forces at the Battle of Devil’s Hole during Pontiac’s War.
- 1791The Papal States lose Avignon to the French Empire.
- 1808Finnish War: Russians defeat the Swedes in the bloody Battle of Oravais.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: The French Grande Armée enters Moscow. The Fire of Moscow begins as soon as Russian troops leave the city.
- 1814The poem Defence of Fort McHenry is written by Francis Scott Key. The poem is later used as the lyrics of The Star-Spangled Banner.
- 1829The Ottoman Empire signs the Treaty of Adrianople with Russia, thus ending the Russo-Turkish War.
- 1846Jang Bahadur and his brothers massacre about 40 members of the Nepalese palace court.
- 1847Mexican–American War: Winfield Scott captures Mexico City.
- 1862American Civil War: The Battle of South Mountain, part of the Maryland Campaign, is fought.
- 1901U.S. President William McKinley dies after an assassination attempt on September 6, and is succeeded by Vice President Theodore Roosevelt.
- 1914HMAS AE1, the Royal Australian Navy’s first submarine, was lost at sea with all hands near East New Britain, Papua New Guinea.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)