The following events took place on September 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 668Eastern Roman Emperor Constans II is assassinated in his bath at Syracuse, Italy.
- 921At Tetin, Saint Ludmila is murdered at the command of her daughter-in-law.
- 994Major Fatimid victory over the Byzantine Empire at the Battle of the Orontes.
- 1440Gilles de Rais, one of the earliest known serial killers, is taken into custody upon an accusation brought against him by the Jean de Malestroit, Bishop of Nantes.
- 1556Departing from Vlissingen, ex-Holy Roman Emperor Charles V returns to Spain.
- 1616The first non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe is opened in Frascati, Italy.
- 1762Seven Years’ War: Battle of Signal Hill.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: British forces land at Kip’s Bay during the New York Campaign.
- 1789The United States “Department of Foreign Affairs”, established by law in July, is renamed the Department of State and given a variety of domestic duties.
- 1812The French army under Napoleon reaches the Kremlin in Moscow.
- 1812War of 1812: A second supply train sent to relieve Fort Harrison is ambushed in the Attack at the Narrows.
- 1816HMS Whiting runs aground on the Doom Bar
- 1820Constitutionalist revolution in Lisbon, Portugal.
- 1821Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica jointly declare independence from Spain.
- 1830The Liverpool to Manchester railway line opens.
- 1831The locomotive John Bull operates for the first time in New Jersey on the Camden and Amboy Railroad.
- 1835HMS Beagle, with Charles Darwin aboard, reaches the Galápagos Islands. The ship lands at Chatham or San Cristobal, the easternmost of the archipelago.
- 1851Saint Joseph’s University is founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1862American Civil War: Confederate forces capture Harpers Ferry, Virginia.
- 1873Franco-Prussian War: The last German troops leave France upon completion of payment of indemnity.
- 1894First Sino-Japanese War: Japan defeats Qing dynasty China in the Battle of Pyongyang.
- 1915The Empire Picture Theatre (now The New Empire Cinema), the oldest running Cinema in Mainland Australia, opens in Bowral, New South Wales.
- 1916World War I: Tanks are used for the first time in battle, at the Battle of the Somme.
- 1918World War I:The Battle of Dobro Pole is fought, Entente troops break through the Bulgarian defenses on the Macedonian Front eventually liberating Vardar Macedonia and forcing Bulgaria to sign the Armistice of Salonica.
- 1935The Nuremberg Laws deprive German Jews of citizenship.
- 1935Nazi Germany adopts a new national flag bearing the swastika.
- 1940World War II: The climax of the Battle of Britain, when the Royal Air Force shoots down large numbers of Luftwaffe aircraft.
- 1942World War II: U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Wasp is sunk by a Japanese torpedo at Guadalcanal.
- 1944Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill meet in Quebec as part of the Octagon Conference to discuss strategy.
- 1944Battle of Peleliu begins as the United States Marine Corps’ 1st Marine Division and the United States Army’s 81st Infantry Division hit White and Orange beaches under heavy fire from Japanese infantry and artillery.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Geoffrey’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)