The following events took place on September 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 307Emperor Severus II is captured and imprisoned at Tres Tabernae. He is later executed (or forced to commit suicide) after Galerius unsuccessfully invades Italy.
- 1400Owain Glyndŵr is declared Prince of Wales by his followers.
- 1620Pilgrims set sail from England on the Mayflower.
- 1701James Francis Edward Stuart, sometimes called the “Old Pretender”, becomes the Jacobite claimant to the thrones of England and Scotland.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Harlem Heights is fought.
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Franco-American Siege of Savannah begins.
- 1795The first occupation by United Kingdom of Cape Colony, South Africa with the Battle of Hout Bay, after successive victories at the Battle of Muizenberg and Wynberg, after William V requested protection against revolutionary France’s occupation of the Netherlands.
- 1810With the Grito de Dolores, Father Miguel Hidalgo begins Mexico’s fight for independence from Spain.
- 1812The Fire of Moscow begins shortly after midnight and destroys three quarters of the city days later.
- 1863Robert College of Istanbul-Turkey, the first American educational institution outside the United States, is founded by Christopher Robert, an American philanthropist.
- 1880The Cornell Daily Sun prints its first issue in Ithaca, New York. The Sun is the nation’s oldest, continuously-independent college daily.
- 1893Settlers make a land run for prime land in the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma.
- 1908The General Motors Corporation is founded.
- 1919The American Legion is incorporated.
- 1920The Wall Street bombing: A bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J. P. Morgan building in New York City killing 38 and injuring 400.
- 1940World War II: Italian troops conquer Sidi Barrani.
- 1941World War II: Concerned that Reza Shah Pahlavi, the Shah of Iran, was about to ally his petroleum-rich empire with Nazi Germany, the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union invade Iran in late August and force the Shah to abdicate in favor of his son, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1943World War II: The Allied invasion of Italy concludes when Heinrich von Vietinghoff, commander of the German Tenth Army, orders his troops to withdraw from Salerno.
- 1945World War II: The surrender of the Japanese troops in Hong Kong is accepted by Royal Navy Admiral Sir Cecil Harcourt.
- 1947Typhoon Kathleen hits Saitama, Tokyo and Tone River area, at least 1,930 killed.
- 1955The military coup to unseat President Juan Perón of Argentina is launched at midnight.
- 1955A Soviet Navy Zulu-class submarine becomes the first to launch a ballistic missile.
- 1959The first successful photocopier, the Xerox 914, is introduced in a demonstration on live television from New York City.
- 1961The United States National Hurricane Research Project drops eight cylinders of silver iodide into the eyewall of Hurricane Esther. Wind speed reduces by 10%, giving rise to Project Stormfury.
- 1961Typhoon Nancy, with possibly the strongest winds ever measured in a tropical cyclone, makes landfall in Osaka, Japan, killing 173 people.
- 1963Malaysia is formed from the Federation of Malaya, Singapore, North Borneo (Sabah) and Sarawak. However, Singapore soon leaves this new country.
- 1966The Metropolitan Opera House opens at Lincoln Center in New York City with the world premiere of Samuel Barber’s opera Antony and Cleopatra.
- 1970King Hussein of Jordan declares military rule following the hijacking of four civilian airliners by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). This results in the formation of the Black September Palestinian paramilitary unit.
- 1975Papua New Guinea gains independence from Australia.
- 1975Cape Verde, Mozambique, and São Tomé and Príncipe join the United Nations.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!