The following events took place on September 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 480 BCBattle of Salamis: The Greek fleet under Themistocles defeats the Persian fleet under Xerxes I.
- 904The warlord Zhu Quanzhong kills Emperor Zhaozong, the penultimate emperor of the Tang dynasty, after seizing control of the imperial government.
- 1236The Lithuanians and Semigallians defeat the Livonian Brothers of the Sword in the Battle of Saule.
- 1499Treaty of Basel
- 1586Battle of Zutphen: Spanish victory over the English and Dutch.
- 1598English playwright Ben Jonson kills an actor in a duel and is indicted for manslaughter.
- 1692The last people are hanged for witchcraft in England’s North American colonies.
- 1711The Tuscarora War begins in present-day North Carolina.
- 1761George III and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz are crowned King and Queen, respectively, of the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1776Nathan Hale is hanged for spying during American Revolution.
- 1789The office of United States Postmaster General is established.
- 1789Battle of Rymnik establishes Alexander Suvorov as a pre-eminent Russian military commander after his allied army defeat superior Ottoman Empire forces.
- 1792Primidi Vendémiaire of year one of the French Republican Calendar as the French First Republic comes into being.
- 1823Joseph Smith states he found the Golden plates on this date after being directed by God through the Angel Moroni to the place where they were buried.
- 1857The Russian warship Lefort capsizes and sinks during a storm in the Gulf of Finland, killing all 826 aboard.
- 1862Slavery in the United States: A preliminary version of the Emancipation Proclamation is released.
- 1866Battle of Curupayty in the Paraguayan War.
- 1869Richard Wagner’s opera Das Rheingold premieres in Munich.
- 1885Lord Randolph Churchill makes a speech in Ulster in opposition to Home Rule.
- 1888The first issue of National Geographic Magazine is published.
- 1896Queen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest reigning monarch in British history.
- 1908The Bulgarian Declaration of Independence is proclaimed.
- 1910The Duke of York’s Picture House opens in Brighton, now the oldest continually operating cinema in Britain.
- 1914German submarine SM U-9 torpedoes and sinks the British cruisers HMS Aboukir, HMS Hogue and HMS Cressy on the Broad Fourteens off the Dutch coast with the loss of over 1,400 men.
- 1919The steel strike of 1919, led by the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers, begins in Pennsylvania before spreading across the United States.
- 1927Jack Dempsey loses the “Long Count” boxing match to Gene Tunney.
- 1934An explosion takes place at Gresford Colliery in Wales, leading to the deaths of 266 miners and rescuers.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: Peña Blanca is taken; the end of the Battle of El Mazuco.
- 1939Joint victory parade of Wehrmacht and Red Army in Brest-Litovsk at the end of the Invasion of Poland.
- 1941World War II: On Jewish New Year Day, the German SS murder 6,000 Jews in Vinnytsia, Ukraine. Those are the survivors of the previous killings that took place a few days earlier in which about 24,000 Jews were executed.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)