The following events took place on September 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 31 - 48.
- 1959The MS Princess of Tasmania, Australia’s first passenger roll-on/roll-off diesel ferry, makes her maiden voyage across Bass Strait.
- 1962The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts opens in New York City.
- 1969The Chicago Eight trial opens in Chicago.
- 1973Juan Perón returns to power in Argentina.
- 1980Bob Marley plays what would be his last concert in Pittsburgh.
- 1983Saint Kitts and Nevis joins the United Nations.
- 1983Gerrie Coetzee of South Africa becomes the first African boxing world heavyweight champion.
- 1983Gulf Air Flight 771 is destroyed by a bomb, killing all 117 people on board.
- 1986Jim Deshaies of the Houston Astros sets a major league record by striking out the first eight batters he faces in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- 1988José Canseco of the Oakland Athletics becomes the first member of the 40–40 club.
- 1992A large Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb destroys forensic laboratories in Belfast.
- 1999Celebrate Bisexuality Day was first observed in the United States.
- 1999NASA announces that it has lost contact with the Mars Climate Orbiter.
- 2002The first public version of the web browser Mozilla Firefox (“Phoenix 0.1”) is released.
- 2004Over 3,000 people die in Haiti after Hurricane Jeanne produces massive flooding and mudslides.
- 2008Kauhajoki school shooting: Matti Saari kills ten people before committing suicide.
- 2010Convict Teresa Lewis became the first female inmate to die by lethal injection in the state of Virginia.
- 2015On Washington, D.C., Pope Francis canonized Father Junipero Serra as a saint.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)