The following events took place on September 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 622Muhammad and his followers completed their Hijra from Mecca to Medina to escape religious persecution.
- 1180Manuel I Komnenos, last Emperor of the Komnenian restoration dies. The Byzantine Empire slips into terminal decline.
- 1645Battle of Rowton Heath, Parliamentarian victory over a Royalist army commanded in person by King Charles.
- 1664The Dutch Republic surrenders New Amsterdam to England.
- 1674Second Tantrik Coronation of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- 1780Benedict Arnold flees to British Army lines when the arrest of British Major John André exposes Arnold’s plot to surrender West Point.
- 1789The United States Congress passes the Judiciary Act which creates the office of the United States Attorney General and the federal judiciary system, and orders the composition of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1830Belgian Revolution: A revolutionary committee of notables forms the Provisional Government of Belgium.
- 1841The Sultan of Brunei cedes Sarawak to the United Kingdom.
- 1846Mexican–American War: General Zachary Taylor captures Monterrey.
- 1852The first airship powered by (a steam) engine, created by Henri Giffard, travels 17 mi from Paris to Trappes.
- 1853Admiral Despointes formally takes possession of New Caledonia in the name of France.
- 1869“Black Friday”: Gold prices plummet after Ulysses S. Grant orders the Treasury to sell large quantities of gold after Jay Gould and James Fisk plot to control the market.
- 1873Establishment of “Satyashodhak Samaj”, (Truth-seeker Movement) at Pune, Maharashtra, India by Mahatma Jyotirao Phule.
- 1877Battle of Shiroyama, decisive victory of the Imperial Japanese Army over the Satsuma Rebellion
- 1890The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially renounces polygamy.
- 1906U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims Devils Tower in Wyoming as the nation’s first National Monument.
- 1911His Majesty’s Airship No. 1, Britain’s first rigid airship, is wrecked by strong winds before her maiden flight at Barrow-in-Furness.
- 1914World War I: The Siege of Przemyśl (present-day Poland) begins.
- 1932Gandhi and Dr. B. R. Ambedkar agree to the Poona Pact, which reserved seats in the Indian provincial legislatures for the “Depressed Classes” (Untouchables).
- 1935Earl Bascom and Weldon Bascom produce the first rodeo ever held outdoors under electric lights at Columbia, Mississippi
- 1946Cathay Pacific Airways is founded in Hong Kong.
- 1946Clark Clifford and George Elsey, military advisers to U.S. President Harry S. Truman, present him with a top-secret report on the Soviet Union that first recommends the containment policy.
- 1948The Honda Motor Company is founded.
- 1950Forest fires black out the sun over portions of Canada and New England. A blue moon is seen as far away as Europe.
- 1957Camp Nou, the largest stadium in Europe, is opened in Barcelona.
- 1957President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends 101st Airborne Division troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, to enforce desegregation.
- 1960USS Enterprise, the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, is launched.
- 1962United States court of appeals orders the University of Mississippi to admit James Meredith.
- 196860 Minutes debuts on CBS.
Curious about this Crushed Pineapple Mint? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!