The following events took place on September 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 489Battle of Verona: The Ostrogoths under king Theoderic the Great defeat the forces of Odoacer for the second time at Verona (Northern Italy).
- 737Battle of the Baggage: Turgesh drive back an Umayyad invasion of Khuttal, follow them south of the Oxus and capture their baggage train.
- 1399Henry IV is proclaimed King of England.
- 1541Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto and his forces enter Tula territory in present-day western Arkansas, encountering fierce resistance.
- 1744France and Spain defeat the Kingdom of Sardinia at the Battle of Madonna dell'Olmo.
- 1791The first performance of The Magic Flute, the last opera by Mozart to make its debut, took place at Freihaus-Theater auf der Wieden in Vienna, Austria.
- 1791The National Constituent Assembly in Paris is dissolved; Parisians hail Maximilien Robespierre and Jérôme Pétion as “incorruptible patriots”.
- 1813Battle of Bárbula: Simón Bolívar defeats Santiago Bobadilla.
- 1860Britain’s first tram service begins in Birkenhead, Merseyside.
- 1882Thomas Edison’s first commercial hydroelectric power plant (later known as Appleton Edison Light Company) begins operation on the Fox River in Appleton, Wisconsin, United States.
- 1888Jack the Ripper kills his third and fourth victims, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.
- 1895Madagascar becomes a French protectorate.
- 1903The new Gresham’s School is officially opened by Field Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood.
- 1906The Royal Galician Academy, Galician language’s biggest linguistic authority, starts working in Havana.
- 1907McKinley National Memorial, the final resting place of assassinated U.S. President William McKinley and his family, is dedicated in Canton, Ohio.
- 1915A Serbian Army private becomes the first soldier in history to shoot down an enemy aircraft with ground-to-air fire.
- 1927Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 60 home runs in a season.
- 1931Start of “Die Voortrekkers” youth movement for Afrikaners in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- 1935The Hoover Dam, astride the border between the U.S. states of Arizona and Nevada, is dedicated.
- 1938Britain, France, Germany and Italy sign the Munich Agreement, allowing Germany to occupy the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia.
- 1938The League of Nations unanimously outlaws “intentional bombings of civilian populations”.
- 1939General Władysław Sikorski becomes commander-in-chief of the Polish Government in exile.
- 1939NBC broadcasts the first televised American football game between the Waynesburg Yellow Jackets and the Fordham Rams. Fordham won the game 34–7.
- 1941World War II: Holocaust in Kiev, Ukraine: German Einsatzgruppe C complete Babi Yar massacre.
- 1943The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) at Kings Point, New York was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1945The Bourne End rail crash, in Hertfordshire, England, kills 43
- 1947Pakistan and Yemen join the United Nations.
- 1947The World Series, featuring the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers, is televised for the first time.
- 1949The Berlin Airlift ends.
- 1954The U.S. Navy submarine USS Nautilus is commissioned as the world’s first nuclear reactor powered vessel.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Marian’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)