The following events took place on September 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 489Battle of Verona: The Ostrogoths under king Theoderic the Great defeat the forces of Odoacer for the second time at Verona (Northern Italy).
- 737Battle of the Baggage: Turgesh drive back an Umayyad invasion of Khuttal, follow them south of the Oxus and capture their baggage train.
- 1399Henry IV is proclaimed King of England.
- 1541Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto and his forces enter Tula territory in present-day western Arkansas, encountering fierce resistance.
- 1744France and Spain defeat the Kingdom of Sardinia at the Battle of Madonna dell'Olmo.
- 1791The first performance of The Magic Flute, the last opera by Mozart to make its debut, took place at Freihaus-Theater auf der Wieden in Vienna, Austria.
- 1791The National Constituent Assembly in Paris is dissolved; Parisians hail Maximilien Robespierre and Jérôme Pétion as “incorruptible patriots”.
- 1813Battle of Bárbula: Simón Bolívar defeats Santiago Bobadilla.
- 1860Britain’s first tram service begins in Birkenhead, Merseyside.
- 1882Thomas Edison’s first commercial hydroelectric power plant (later known as Appleton Edison Light Company) begins operation on the Fox River in Appleton, Wisconsin, United States.
- 1888Jack the Ripper kills his third and fourth victims, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.
- 1895Madagascar becomes a French protectorate.
- 1903The new Gresham’s School is officially opened by Field Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood.
- 1906The Royal Galician Academy, Galician language’s biggest linguistic authority, starts working in Havana.
- 1907McKinley National Memorial, the final resting place of assassinated U.S. President William McKinley and his family, is dedicated in Canton, Ohio.
- 1915A Serbian Army private becomes the first soldier in history to shoot down an enemy aircraft with ground-to-air fire.
- 1927Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 60 home runs in a season.
- 1931Start of “Die Voortrekkers” youth movement for Afrikaners in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- 1935The Hoover Dam, astride the border between the U.S. states of Arizona and Nevada, is dedicated.
- 1938Britain, France, Germany and Italy sign the Munich Agreement, allowing Germany to occupy the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia.
- 1938The League of Nations unanimously outlaws “intentional bombings of civilian populations”.
- 1939General Władysław Sikorski becomes commander-in-chief of the Polish Government in exile.
- 1939NBC broadcasts the first televised American football game between the Waynesburg Yellow Jackets and the Fordham Rams. Fordham won the game 34–7.
- 1941World War II: Holocaust in Kiev, Ukraine: German Einsatzgruppe C complete Babi Yar massacre.
- 1943The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) at Kings Point, New York was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1945The Bourne End rail crash, in Hertfordshire, England, kills 43
- 1947Pakistan and Yemen join the United Nations.
- 1947The World Series, featuring the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers, is televised for the first time.
- 1949The Berlin Airlift ends.
- 1954The U.S. Navy submarine USS Nautilus is commissioned as the world’s first nuclear reactor powered vessel.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)