The following events took place on September 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 60 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 917Liu Yan declares himself emperor, establishing the Southern Han state in southern China, at his capital of Panyu.
- 1590Alexander Farnese’s army forces Henry IV of France to lift the siege of Paris.
- 1661Fall of Nicolas Fouquet: Louis XIV Superintendent of Finances is arrested in Nantes by D'Artagnan, captain of the king’s musketeers.
- 1666Great Fire of London ends: Ten thousand buildings including St Paul’s Cathedral are destroyed, but only six people are known to have died.
- 1697War of the Grand Alliance : A French warship commanded by Captain Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville defeated an English squadron at the Battle of Hudson’s Bay.
- 1698In an effort to Westernize his nobility, Tsar Peter I of Russia imposes a tax on beards for all men except the clergy and peasantry.
- 1725Wedding of Louis XV and Maria Leszczyńska.
- 1774First Continental Congress assembles in Philadelphia.
- 1781Battle of the Chesapeake in the American Revolutionary War: The British Navy is repelled by the French Navy, contributing to the British surrender at Yorktown.
- 1793French Revolution: The French National Convention initiates the Reign of Terror.
- 1798Conscription is made mandatory in France by the Jourdan law.
- 1812War of 1812: The Siege of Fort Wayne begins when Chief Winamac’s forces attack two soldiers returning from the fort’s outhouses.
- 1816Louis XVIII has to dissolve the Chambre introuvable (“Unobtainable Chamber”).
- 1836Sam Houston is elected as the first president of the Republic of Texas.
- 1839The United Kingdom declares war on the Qing dynasty of China.
- 1840Premiere of Giuseppe Verdi’s Un giorno di regno at La Scala of Milan.
- 1862American Civil War: The Potomac River is crossed at White’s Ford in the Maryland Campaign.
- 1862James Glaisher, pioneering meteorologist and Henry Tracey Coxwell break world record for altitude whilst collecting data in their balloon.
- 1864François Achille Bazaine becomes Marshal of France.
- 1877American Indian Wars: Oglala Sioux chief Crazy Horse is bayoneted by a United States soldier after resisting confinement in a guardhouse at Fort Robinson in Nebraska.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)