The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
Curious about this Grape Spiral? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!
Historical Events Of 1940
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- March 12, 1940 – Winter War: Finland signs the Moscow Peace Treaty with the Soviet Union, ceding almost all of Finnish Karelia. Finnish troops and the remaining population are immediately evacuated.
- April 7, 1940 – Booker T. Washington becomes the first African American to be depicted on a United States postage stamp.
- May 17, 1940 – World War II: the old city centre of the Dutch town of Middelburg is bombed by the German Luftwaffe, to force the surrender of the Dutch armies in Zeeland.
- September 6, 1940 – King Carol II of Romania abdicates and is succeeded by his son Michael.
- October 1, 1940 – The Pennsylvania Turnpike, often considered the first superhighway in the United States, opens to traffic.
- October 14, 1940 – Balham underground station disaster in London, England, sixty-six people in the station were killed during the Nazi Luftwaffe air raids on Great Britain.
- November 9, 1940 – Warsaw is awarded the Virtuti Militari.
- December 29, 1940 – World War II: In the Second Great Fire of London, the Luftwaffe fire-bombs London, England, UK, killing almost 200 civilians.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- January 8, 1940 – Jimmy O'Neill, American radio and television host (d. 2013)
- January 22, 1940 – Gillian Shephard, English educator and politician; Secretary of State for Education
- March 1, 1940 – Brian Waites, English golfer
- April 15, 1940 – Robert Lacroix, Canadian economist and academic
- June 12, 1940 – Jacques Brassard, Canadian educator and politician
- June 21, 1940 – Marika Green, Swedish-French actress
- August 6, 1940 – Louise Sorel, American actress
- August 13, 1940 – Bill Musselman, American basketball player and coach (d. 2000)
- October 24, 1940 – David Sainsbury, Baron Sainsbury of Turville, English businessman and academic
- December 26, 1940 – Ray Sadecki, American baseball player (d. 2014)