The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
Historical Events Of 1940
- January 29, 1940 – Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. One hundred eighty-one people are killed.
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- May 17, 1940 – World War II: Germany occupies Brussels, Belgium.
- June 8, 1940 – World War II: The completion of Operation Alphabet, the evacuation of Allied forces from Narvik at the end of the Norwegian Campaign.
- June 17, 1940 – The three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania fall under the occupation of the Soviet Union.
- July 27, 1940 – The animated short A Wild Hare is released, introducing the character of Bugs Bunny.
- September 14, 1940 – Ip massacre: The Hungarian Army, supported by local Hungarians, kill 158 Romanian civilians in Ip, Sălaj, a village in Northern Transylvania, an act of ethnic cleansing.
- November 14, 1940 – World War II: In England, Coventry is heavily bombed by German Luftwaffe bombers. Coventry Cathedral is almost completely destroyed.
- November 20, 1940 – World War II: Hungary becomes a signatory of the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis powers.
- November 25, 1940 – World War II: First flight of the de Havilland Mosquito and Martin B-26 Marauder.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- February 1, 1940 – Hervé Filion, Canadian harness racer
- March 24, 1940 – Don Jardine, Canadian wrestler and trainer (d. 2006)
- April 13, 1940 – Mike Beuttler, Egyptian-English race car driver (d. 1988)
- April 18, 1940 – Mike Vickers, English guitarist, saxophonist, and songwriter (Manfred Mann and The Manfreds)
- July 4, 1940 – Pat Stapleton, Canadian ice hockey player
- August 27, 1940 – Sonny Sharrock, American guitarist (Last Exit) (d. 1994)
- September 9, 1940 – Hugh Morgan, Australian businessman
- October 8, 1940 – Fred Cash, American singer (The Impressions)
- October 27, 1940 – Maxine Hong Kingston, American author and academic
- November 2, 1940 – Phil Minton, English singer and trumpet player