The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Historical Events Of 1940
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- February 27, 1940 – Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben discover carbon-14.
- March 16, 1940 – First person killed in a German bombing raid on the UK in World War II during a raid on Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands, James Isbister.
- April 16, 1940 – Bob Feller of the Cleveland Indians throws the only Opening Day no-hitter in the history of Major League Baseball, beating the Chicago White Sox 1–0.
- May 24, 1940 – Acting on the orders of Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, NKVD agent Iosif Grigulevich orchestrates an unsuccessful assassination attempt on exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky in Coyoacán, Mexico.
- July 25, 1940 – General Henri Guisan orders the Swiss Army to resist German invasion and makes surrender illegal.
- August 6, 1940 – Estonia was illegally annexed by the Soviet Union.
- October 9, 1940 – World War II: Battle of Britain: During a night-time air raid by the German Luftwaffe, St. Paul’s Cathedral in the City of London, England is hit by a bomb.
- November 12, 1940 – World War II: Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov arrives in Berlin to discuss the possibility of the Soviet Union joining the Axis Powers.
- November 27, 1940 – World War II: At the Battle of Cape Spartivento, the Royal Navy engages the Regia Marina in the Mediterranean Sea.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- February 1, 1940 – Hervé Filion, Canadian harness racer
- February 26, 1940 – Oldřich Kulhánek, Czech painter, illustrator, and stage designer (d. 2013)
- March 15, 1940 – Phil Lesh, American bass player (Grateful Dead, The Other Ones, The Dead, and Furthur)
- April 2, 1940 – Mike Hailwood, English motorcycle racer (d. 1981)
- May 31, 1940 – Anatoliy Bondarchuk, Ukrainian hammer thrower and coach
- June 25, 1940 – Clint Warwick, English bass player (The Moody Blues) (d. 2004)
- August 11, 1940 – Lennie Pond, American race car driver
- September 8, 1940 – Jack Prelutsky, American author and poet
- November 30, 1940 – Peter Shreeves, Welsh footballer, coach, and manager
- December 19, 1940 – Phil Ochs, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 1976)