The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
Historical Events Of 1940
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- May 1, 1940 – The 1940 Summer Olympics are cancelled due to war.
- May 6, 1940 – John Steinbeck is awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Grapes of Wrath.
- May 26, 1940 – World War II: The Siege of Calais ends with the surrender of the British and French garrison.
- June 5, 1940 – World War II: After a brief lull in the Battle of France, the Germans renew the offensive against the remaining French divisions south of the River Somme in Operation Fall Rot (“Case Red”).
- June 7, 1940 – King Haakon VII, Crown Prince Olav and the Norwegian government leaves Tromsø and goes into exile in London. They return exactly five years later
- June 10, 1940 – World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt denounces Italy’s actions with his “Stab in the Back” speech at the graduation ceremonies of the University of Virginia.
- June 23, 1940 – World War II: German leader Adolf Hitler surveys newly defeated Paris in now occupied France.
- September 9, 1940 – George Stibitz pioneers the first remote operation of a computer.
- November 20, 1940 – World War II: Hungary becomes a signatory of the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis powers.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- January 22, 1940 – Gillian Shephard, English educator and politician; Secretary of State for Education
- February 18, 1940 – Fabrizio De André, Italian singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 1999)
- February 27, 1940 – Howard Hesseman, American actor
- May 30, 1940 – Gilles Villemure, Canadian-American ice hockey player
- July 4, 1940 – Dave Rowberry, English pianist and songwriter (The Animals) (d. 2003)
- August 2, 1940 – Beko Ransome-Kuti, Nigerian physician and activist (d. 2006)
- September 14, 1940 – Jacques Godin, Canadian actor
- October 1, 1940 – Steve O'Rourke, English race car driver and manager (d. 2003)
- November 12, 1940 – Michel Audet, Canadian economist and politician
- December 25, 1940 – Hilary Spurling, English journalist and author