The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!
Historical Events Of 1940
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- May 7, 1940 – The Norway Debate in the British House of Commons begins, and leads to the replacement of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain with Winston Churchill three days later.
- May 9, 1940 – World War II: The German submarine U-9 sinks the French coastal submarine Doris near Den Helder.
- May 24, 1940 – Igor Sikorsky performs the first successful single-rotor helicopter flight.
- May 25, 1940 – World War II: The German 2nd Panzer Division captures the port of Boulogne-sur-Mer; the surrender of the last French and British troops marks the end of the Battle of Boulogne.
- July 6, 1940 – Story Bridge, a major landmark in Brisbane, as well as Australia’s longest cantilever bridge is formally opened.
- September 7, 1940 – World War II: The German Luftwaffe begins the Blitz, bombing London and other British cities for over 50 consecutive nights.
- October 1, 1940 – The Pennsylvania Turnpike, often considered the first superhighway in the United States, opens to traffic.
- November 27, 1940 – In Romania, the ruling Iron Guard fascist party assassinates over 60 of arrested King Carol II of Romania’s aides and other political dissidents, including former Prime Minister Nicolae Iorga.
- December 9, 1940 – World War II: Operation Compass – British and Indian troops under the command of Major-General Richard O'Connor attack Italian forces near Sidi Barrani in Egypt.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- January 27, 1940 – Ahmet Kurtcebe Alptemoçin, Turkish engineer and politician; 35th Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- February 13, 1940 – Arne Sølvberg, Norwegian computer scientist and academic
- May 8, 1940 – Emilio Delgado, American actor and singer
- May 13, 1940 – Bruce Chatwin, English author (d. 1989)
- July 6, 1940 – Nursultan Nazarbayev, Kazakh politician, 1st President of Kazakhstan
- July 7, 1940 – Ringo Starr, English singer-songwriter, drummer, and actor (The Beatles, Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band, and Plastic Ono Band)
- July 26, 1940 – Brian Mawhinney, Baron Mawhinney, Irish academic and politician, Secretary of State for Transport
- August 19, 1940 – Johnny Nash, American singer-songwriter and actor
- September 6, 1940 – Elizabeth Murray, American painter and illustrator (d. 2007)
- November 25, 1940 – Karl Offmann, Mauritian politician, 3rd President of Mauritius