The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2024. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
Historical Events Of 1940
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1940 – World War II: Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini meet at the Brenner Pass in the Alps and agree to form an alliance against France and the United Kingdom.
- April 9, 1940 – World War II: Operation Weserübung: Germany invades Denmark and Norway.
- May 1, 1940 – The 1940 Summer Olympics are cancelled due to war.
- May 28, 1940 – World War II: Belgium surrenders to Nazi Germany to end the Battle of Belgium.
- June 10, 1940 – World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt denounces Italy’s actions with his “Stab in the Back” speech at the graduation ceremonies of the University of Virginia.
- June 14, 1940 – World War II: Paris falls under German occupation, and Allied forces retreat.
- September 7, 1940 – World War II: The German Luftwaffe begins the Blitz, bombing London and other British cities for over 50 consecutive nights.
- November 7, 1940 – In Tacoma, Washington, the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapses in a windstorm, a mere four months after the bridge’s completion.
- November 11, 1940 – World War II: Battle of Taranto – The Royal Navy launches the first aircraft carrier strike in history, on the Italian fleet at Taranto.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- January 3, 1940 – Bernard Blaut, Polish footballer and coach (d. 2007)
- January 14, 1940 – Julian Bond, American academic and politician (d. 2015)
- April 10, 1940 – Gloria Hunniford, Irish radio and television host
- April 12, 1940 – Bashir Ahmad, Indian-Bangladeshi singer (d. 2014)
- July 10, 1940 – Helen Donath, American soprano and actress
- September 12, 1940 – Linda Gray, American actress, director, and producer
- October 9, 1940 – Gordon J. Humphrey, American soldier, pilot, and politician
- October 16, 1940 – Ivan Della Mea, Italian singer-songwriter, guitarist, and journalist (d. 2009)
- October 23, 1940 – Ellie Greenwich, American singer-songwriter and producer (The Raindrops) (d. 2009)
- November 26, 1940 – Kotozakura Masakatsu, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 53rd Yokozuna (d. 2007)