The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2022. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sylvia’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)
Historical Events Of 1949
- January 2, 1949 – Luis Muñoz Marín becomes the first democratically elected Governor of Puerto Rico.
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- February 17, 1949 – Chaim Weizmann begins his term as the first President of Israel.
- March 8, 1949 – Mildred Gillars (“Axis Sally”) is condemned to prison for treason.
- April 4, 1949 – Twelve nations sign the North Atlantic Treaty creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- May 6, 1949 – EDSAC, the first practical electronic digital stored-program computer, runs its first operation.
- May 9, 1949 – Rainier III of Monaco becomes Prince of Monaco.
- September 27, 1949 – The first Plenary Session of the National People’s Congress approves the design of the Flag of the People’s Republic of China.
- October 18, 1949 – United Nations Security Council Resolution 78 is adopted.
- November 15, 1949 – Nathuram Godse and Narayan Apte are executed for assassinating Mahatma Gandhi.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- January 17, 1949 – Gyude Bryant, Liberian businessman and politician (d. 2014)
- April 20, 1949 – Paul Heiney, English journalist and author
- April 21, 1949 – Patti LuPone, American actress and singer
- May 18, 1949 – Rick Wakeman, English keyboard player and songwriter (Yes, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, and Warhorse)
- July 17, 1949 – Charley Steiner, American journalist and sportscaster
- July 27, 1949 – Rory MacDonald, Scottish singer-songwriter and bass player (Runrig and The Band from Rockall)
- August 19, 1949 – Michael Nazir-Ali, Pakistani-English bishop
- August 20, 1949 – Phil Lynott, English-Irish singer-songwriter, bass player, and producer (Thin Lizzy, Skid Row, and Grand Slam) (d. 1986)
- December 21, 1949 – Thomas Sankara, Burkinabé captain and politician, 5th President of Burkina Faso (d. 1987)
- December 25, 1949 – Joe Louis Walker, American singer-songwriter, guitarist and producer