The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2044. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
Historical Events Of 1988
- February 17, 1988 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- March 13, 1988 – The Seikan Tunnel, the longest undersea tunnel in the world, opens between Aomori and Hakodate, Japan.
- March 20, 1988 – Eritrean War of Independence: Having defeated the Nadew Command, the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front enters the town of Afabet, victoriously concluding the Battle of Afabet.
- June 4, 1988 – Three cars on a train carrying hexogen to Kazakhstan explode in Arzamas, Gorky Oblast, USSR, killing 91 and injuring about 1,500.
- September 13, 1988 – Hurricane Gilbert is the strongest recorded hurricane in the Western Hemisphere, later replaced by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 (based on barometric pressure).
- October 19, 1988 – The British government imposes a broadcasting ban on television and radio interviews with members of Sinn Féin and eleven Irish republican and Ulster loyalist paramilitary groups.
- November 2, 1988 – The Morris worm, the first Internet-distributed computer worm to gain significant mainstream media attention, is launched from MIT.
- November 15, 1988 – Israeli–Palestinian conflict: An independent State of Palestine is proclaimed by the Palestinian National Council.
- December 7, 1988 – Yasser Arafat recognizes the right of Israel to exist.
- December 31, 1988 – Pittsburgh Penguins’ Mario Lemieux becomes the only National Hockey League player to score goals in five different ways: even strength, shorthanded, power play, penalty shot, and empty net, during an 8–6 win over the New Jersey Devils.
Who Were Born On 1988?
- January 3, 1988 – Ikechi Anya, Scottish-Nigerian footballer
- February 10, 1988 – Olga Zadvornova, Latvian figure skater
- February 16, 1988 – Denílson Pereira Neves, Brazilian footballer
- February 29, 1988 – Lena Gercke, German model and television host
- March 2, 1988 – James Arthur, English singer-songwriter
- March 17, 1988 – Grimes, Canadian singer-songwriter and producer
- August 1, 1988 – Sasha Jackson, English-American actress
- October 5, 1988 – Bobby Edner, American singer, dancer, and actor
- December 1, 1988 – Dan Mavraides, Greek-American basketball player