The next time you can reuse this calendar will be on year 2044. Both calendars will be exactly the same! This is assuming you are not interested in the dates for Easter and other irregular holidays that are based on a solar cycle.
April 4 (4/4), June 6 (6/6), August 8 (8/8), October 10 (10/10), December 12 (12/12), and the last day of February always fall on the same day of the week in any given year. This is called the ‘Doomsday rule’. Check these dates using the full 12-month calendar below to verify.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Historical Events Of 1988
- February 17, 1988 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- April 10, 1988 – The Ojhri Camp disaster: Killing more than 1,000 people in Rawalpindi and Islamabad as a result of rockets and other munitions expelled by the blast.
- July 23, 1988 – General Ne Win, effective ruler of Burma since 1962, resigns after pro-democracy protests.
- August 8, 1988 – The “8888 Uprising” occurs in Burma.
- September 11, 1988 – The St. Jean Bosco massacre takes place in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- September 18, 1988 – End of pro-democracy uprisings in Myanmar after a bloody military coup by the State Law and Order Restoration Council. Thousands, mostly monks and civilians (primarily students), are killed by the Tatmadaw.
- October 5, 1988 – The Chilean opposition coalition Concertación (center-left) defeats Augusto Pinochet in his re-election attempt and a general election is called the following year.
- November 17, 1988 – The National Revival Day - in Baku, Azerbaijan SSR, a demonstration starts against the Soviets, the perceived ignorance of the inflaming tension around Nagorno-Karabakh. The demonstration forcibly dispersed 17 days later would become the largest of its kind held in the USSR
- December 7, 1988 – Yasser Arafat recognizes the right of Israel to exist.
- December 22, 1988 – Chico Mendes, a Brazilian rubber tapper, unionist and environmental activist, is assassinated.
Who Were Born On 1988?
- January 29, 1988 – Tatyana Chernova, Russian heptathlete
- February 8, 1988 – Nozomi Sasaki, Japanese model
- February 13, 1988 – Ryan Goins, American baseball player
- February 25, 1988 – Mehmet Uslu, Turkish footballer
- February 26, 1988 – Reid Flair, American wrestler (d. 2013)
- April 23, 1988 – Erica Mer, American actress
- November 10, 1988 – Pauleen Luna, Filipino actress and host
- December 19, 1988 – Peter Winn, English footballer