The following events took place on April 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1303The Sapienza University of Rome is instituted by Pope Boniface VIII.
- 1453Three Genoese galleys and a Byzantine blockade runner fight their way through an Ottoman blockading fleet a few weeks before the fall of Constantinople.
- 1534Jacques Cartier begins his first voyage to what is today the east coast of Canada, the island of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- 1535The sun dog phenomenon observed over Stockholm and depicted in the famous painting Vädersolstavlan.
- 1653Oliver Cromwell dissolves the Rump Parliament.
- 1657Admiral Robert Blake destroys a Spanish silver fleet under heavy fire at the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- 1657Freedom of religion is granted to the Jews of New Amsterdam (later New York City).
- 1689The former king, James II of England, now deposed, lays siege to Derry.
- 1752Start of Konbaung–Hanthawaddy War, a new phase in the Burmese Civil War (1740–57).
- 1770The Georgian king, Erekle II, abandoned by his Russian ally Count Totleben, wins a victory over Ottoman forces at Aspindza.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The Siege of Boston begins, following the battles at Lexington and Concord.
- 1789George Washington arrives at Grays Ferry, Philadelphia while en route to Manhattan for his inauguration
- 1792France declares war against the “King of Hungary and Bohemia”, the beginning of French Revolutionary Wars.
- 1800The Septinsular Republic is established.
- 1809Two Austrian army corps in Bavaria are defeated by a First French Empire army led by Napoleon at the Battle of Abensberg on the second day of a four-day campaign that ended in a French victory.
- 1810The Governor of Caracas declares independence from Spain.
- 1818The case of Ashford v Thornton ends, with Abraham Thornton allowed to go free rather than face a retrial for murder, after his demand for trial by battle is upheld.
- 1828René Caillié becomes the first non-Muslim to enter Timbuktu.
- 1836U.S. Congress passes an act creating the Wisconsin Territory.
- 1861American Civil War: Robert E. Lee resigns his commission in the United States Army in order to command the forces of the state of Virginia.
- 1862Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard complete the experiment falsifying the theory of spontaneous generation.
- 1865Astronomer Angelo Secchi demonstrates the Secchi disk, which measures water clarity, aboard Pope Pius IX’s yacht, the L'Immaculata Concezion.
- 1871The Civil Rights Act of 1871 becomes law.
- 1876The April Uprising begins. Its suppression shocks European opinion, and Bulgarian independence becomes a condition for ending the Russo-Turkish War.
- 1884Pope Leo XIII publishes the encyclical Humanum genus.
- 1902Pierre and Marie Curie refine radium chloride.
- 1908Opening day of competition in the New South Wales Rugby League.
- 1912Opening day for baseball’s Tiger Stadium in Detroit, and Fenway Park in Boston.
- 1914Nineteen men, women, and children die in the Ludlow Massacre during a Colorado coal-miner’s strike.
- 1916The Chicago Cubs play their first game at Weeghman Park (currently Wrigley Field), defeating the Cincinnati Reds 7–6 in 11 innings.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)