The following events took place on December 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1409The University of Leipzig opens.
- 1697St Paul’s Cathedral is consecrated in London.
- 1755The second Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed by fire.
- 1763Dedication of the Touro Synagogue, in Newport, Rhode Island, the first synagogue in what will become the United States.
- 1775The USS Alfred becomes the first vessel to fly the Grand Union Flag (the precursor to the Stars and Stripes); the flag is hoisted by John Paul Jones.
- 1804At Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, Napoleon Bonaparte crowns himself Emperor of the French, the first French Emperor in a thousand years.
- 1805War of the Third Coalition: Battle of Austerlitz – French troops under Napoleon Bonaparte decisively defeat a joint Russo-Austrian force.
- 1823Monroe Doctrine: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President James Monroe proclaims American neutrality in future European conflicts, and warns European powers not to interfere in the Americas.
- 1845Manifest Destiny: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President James K. Polk proposes that the United States should aggressively expand into the West.
- 1848Franz Josef I becomes Emperor of Austria.
- 1851French President Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte overthrows the Second Republic.
- 1852Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte becomes Emperor of the French as Napoleon III.
- 1859Militant abolitionist leader John Brown is hanged for his October 16 raid on Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
- 1867At Tremont Temple in Boston, British author Charles Dickens gives his first public reading in the United States.
- 1899Philippine–American War: The Battle of Tirad Pass, termed “The Filipino Thermopylae”, is fought.
- 1908Puyi becomes Emperor of China at the age of two.
- 1917World War I: Russia and the Central Powers sign an armistice at Brest-Litovsk, and peace talks leading to the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk begin.
- 1920Following more than a month of Turkish–Armenian War, the Turkish dictated Treaty of Alexandropol is concluded.
- 1927Following 19 years of Ford Model T production, the Ford Motor Company unveils the Ford Model A as its new automobile.
- 1930Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a US$150 million public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy.
- 1939New York City’s LaGuardia Airport opens.
- 1942World War II: During the Manhattan Project, a team led by Enrico Fermi initiates the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction.
- 1943World War II: A Luftwaffe bombing raid on the harbour of Bari, Italy, sinks numerous cargo and transport ships, including the American SS John Harvey, which is carrying a stockpile of World War I-era mustard gas.
- 1947Jerusalem Riots of 1947: Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine.
- 1954Cold War: The United States Senate votes 65 to 22 to censure Joseph McCarthy for “conduct that tends to bring the Senate into dishonor and disrepute”.
- 1954The Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty, between the United States and Taiwan, is signed in Washington, D.C.
- 1956The Granma reaches the shores of Cuba’s Oriente Province. Fidel Castro, Che Guevara and 80 other members of the 26th of July Movement disembark to initiate the Cuban Revolution.
- 1961In a nationally broadcast speech, Cuban leader Fidel Castro declares that he is a Marxist–Leninist and that Cuba is going to adopt Communism.
- 1962Vietnam War: After a trip to Vietnam at the request of U.S. President John F. Kennedy, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield becomes the first American official to comment adversely on the war’s progress.
- 1970The United States Environmental Protection Agency begins operations.
Curious about this Grape Jelly Bear? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!