The following events took place on July 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 390 BCRoman-Gaulish Wars: Battle of the Allia: A Roman army is defeated by raiding Gauls, leading to the subsequent sacking of Rome.
- 64The Great Fire of Rome causes widespread devastation and rages on for six days, destroying half of the city.
- 362Roman–Persian Wars: Emperor Julian arrives at Antioch with a Roman expeditionary force (60,000 men) and stays there for nine months to launch a campaign against the Persian Empire.
- 645Chinese forces under general Li Shiji besiege the strategic fortress city of Anshi (Liaoning) during the Goguryeo–Tang War.
- 1290King Edward I of England issues the Edict of Expulsion, banishing all Jews (numbering about 16,000) from England; this was Tisha B'Av on the Hebrew calendar, a day that commemorates many Jewish calamities.
- 1334The bishop of Florence blesses the first foundation stone for the new campanile (bell tower) of the Florence Cathedral, designed by the artist Giotto di Bondone.
- 1342Mu'izz al-Din Husayn defeats the Sarbadars in the Battle of Zava.
- 1389France and England agree to the Truce of Leulinghem, inaugurating a 13-year peace, the longest period of sustained peace during the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1391Tokhtamysh–Timur war: Battle of the Kondurcha River: Timur defeats Tokhtamysh of the Golden Horde in present-day southeast Russia.
- 1555The College of Arms is reincorporated by Royal charter signed by Queen Mary I of England and King Philip II of Spain.
- 1812The Treaties of Orebro ends both the Anglo-Russian and Anglo-Swedish Wars.
- 1841Coronation of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.
- 1857Louis Faidherbe, French governor of Senegal, arrives to relieve French forces at Kayes, effectively ending El Hajj Umar Tall’s war against the French.
- 1862First ascent of Dent Blanche, one of the highest summits in the Alps.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Fort Wagner: One of the first formal African American military units, the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, supported by several white regiments, attempts an unsuccessful assault on Confederate-held Battery Wagner.
- 1870The First Vatican Council decrees the dogma of papal infallibility.
- 1914The U.S. Congress forms the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps, giving official status to aircraft within the U.S. Army for the first time.
- 1925Adolf Hitler publishes his personal manifesto Mein Kampf.
- 1936An army uprising in Spanish Morocco starts Spanish Civil War.
- 1942World War II: The Germans test fly the Messerschmitt Me 262 using its jet engines for the first time.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get tips about your current relationship and how to improve it. Astrology reports to help you decide when to make yourself available for romantic or social activity. Get your love & romance reports or download free samples!