The following events took place on July 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 390 BCRoman-Gaulish Wars: Battle of the Allia: A Roman army is defeated by raiding Gauls, leading to the subsequent sacking of Rome.
- 64The Great Fire of Rome causes widespread devastation and rages on for six days, destroying half of the city.
- 362Roman–Persian Wars: Emperor Julian arrives at Antioch with a Roman expeditionary force (60,000 men) and stays there for nine months to launch a campaign against the Persian Empire.
- 645Chinese forces under general Li Shiji besiege the strategic fortress city of Anshi (Liaoning) during the Goguryeo–Tang War.
- 1290King Edward I of England issues the Edict of Expulsion, banishing all Jews (numbering about 16,000) from England; this was Tisha B'Av on the Hebrew calendar, a day that commemorates many Jewish calamities.
- 1334The bishop of Florence blesses the first foundation stone for the new campanile (bell tower) of the Florence Cathedral, designed by the artist Giotto di Bondone.
- 1342Mu'izz al-Din Husayn defeats the Sarbadars in the Battle of Zava.
- 1389France and England agree to the Truce of Leulinghem, inaugurating a 13-year peace, the longest period of sustained peace during the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1391Tokhtamysh–Timur war: Battle of the Kondurcha River: Timur defeats Tokhtamysh of the Golden Horde in present-day southeast Russia.
- 1555The College of Arms is reincorporated by Royal charter signed by Queen Mary I of England and King Philip II of Spain.
- 1812The Treaties of Orebro ends both the Anglo-Russian and Anglo-Swedish Wars.
- 1841Coronation of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.
- 1857Louis Faidherbe, French governor of Senegal, arrives to relieve French forces at Kayes, effectively ending El Hajj Umar Tall’s war against the French.
- 1862First ascent of Dent Blanche, one of the highest summits in the Alps.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Fort Wagner: One of the first formal African American military units, the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, supported by several white regiments, attempts an unsuccessful assault on Confederate-held Battery Wagner.
- 1870The First Vatican Council decrees the dogma of papal infallibility.
- 1914The U.S. Congress forms the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps, giving official status to aircraft within the U.S. Army for the first time.
- 1925Adolf Hitler publishes his personal manifesto Mein Kampf.
- 1936An army uprising in Spanish Morocco starts Spanish Civil War.
- 1942World War II: The Germans test fly the Messerschmitt Me 262 using its jet engines for the first time.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)