The following events took place on July 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 80 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 362 BCBattle of Mantinea: The Thebans, led by Epaminondas, defeated the Spartans.
- 414Emperor Theodosius II, age 13, yields power to his older sister Aelia Pulcheria, who reigned as regent and proclaimed herself empress (Augusta) of the Eastern Roman Empire.
- 836Pactum Sicardi, a peace treaty between the Principality of Benevento and the Duchy of Naples, is signed.
- 993Ulrich of Augsburg is canonized as a saint.
- 1054A supernova, called SN 1054, is seen by the Chinese Song dynasty, Arab and possibly Amerindian observers near the star Zeta Tauri. For several months it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
- 1120Jordan II of Capua is anointed as prince after his infant nephew’s death.
- 1187The Crusades: Battle of Hattin: Saladin defeats Guy of Lusignan, King of Jerusalem.
- 1253Battle of West-Capelle: John I of Avesnes defeats Guy of Dampierre.
- 1359Francesco II Ordelaffi of Forlì surrenders to the Papal commander Gil de Albornoz.
- 1456Ottoman wars in Europe: The Siege of Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade) begins.
- 1534Christian III is elected King of Denmark and Norway in the town of Rye.
- 1584Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe arrive at Roanoke Island
- 1610The Battle of Klushino is fought between forces of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and Russia during the Polish–Muscovite War.
- 1634The city of Trois-Rivières is founded in New France (now Quebec, Canada).
- 1744The Treaty of Lancaster, in which the Iroquois cedes lands between the Allegheny Mountains and the Ohio River to the British colonies, was signed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- 1754French and Indian War: George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity to French Capt. Louis Coulon de Villiers.
- 1774Orangetown Resolutions are adopted in the Province of New York, one of many protests against the British Parliament’s Coercive Acts
- 1776American Revolution: The United States Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: American forces under George Clark capture Kaskaskia during the Illinois campaign.
- 1802At West Point, New York, the United States Military Academy opens.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)