The following events took place on March 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 60 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 537Siege of Rome: The Ostrogoth army under king Vitiges begins the siege of the capital. Belisarius conducts a delaying action outside the Flaminian Gate; he and a detachment of his bucellarii are almost cut off.
- 986Louis V becomes King of the Franks.
- 1121Dirk VI becomes the Count of Holland.
- 1127Assassination of Charles the Good, Count of Flanders.
- 1444Skanderbeg organizes a group of Albanian nobles to form the League of Lezhë.
- 1458George of Poděbrady is chosen as the king of Bohemia.
- 1476Burgundian Wars: The Old Swiss Confederacy hands Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, a major defeat in the Battle of Grandson in Canton of Neuchâtel.
- 1484The College of Arms is formally incorporated by Royal Charter signed by King Richard III of England.
- 1498Vasco da Gama’s fleet visits the Island of Mozambique.
- 1561Mendoza, Argentina is founded by Spanish conquistador Pedro del Castillo.
- 1657Great Fire of Meireki: A fire in Edo (now Tokyo), Japan, caused more than 100,000 deaths; it lasted three days
- 1717The Loves of Mars and Venus is the first ballet performed in England.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Patriot militia units arrest the Royal Governor of Georgia James Wright and attempt to prevent capture of supply ships in the Battle of the Rice Boats.
- 1791Long-distance communication speeds up with the unveiling of a semaphore machine in Paris.
- 1797The Bank of England issues the first one-pound and two-pound banknotes.
- 1807The U.S. Congress passes the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves, disallowing the importation of new slaves into the country.
- 1808The inaugural meeting of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh.
- 1811Argentine War of Independence: A royalist fleet defeats a small flotilla of revolutionary ships in the Battle of San Nicolás on the River Plate.
- 1815Signing of the Kandyan Convention treaty by British invaders and the leaders of the Kingdom of Kandy.
- 1825Roberto Cofresí, one of the last successful Caribbean pirates, is defeated in combat and captured by authorities.
- 1836Texas Revolution: Declaration of independence of the Republic of Texas from Mexico.
- 1855Alexander II becomes Tsar of Russia.
- 1865East Cape War: The Völkner Incident in New Zealand.
- 1867The U.S. Congress passes the first Reconstruction Act.
- 1877U.S. presidential election, 1876: Just two days before inauguration, the U.S. Congress declares Rutherford B. Hayes the winner of the election even though Samuel J. Tilden had won the popular vote on November 7, 1876.
- 1882Queen Victoria narrowly escapes an assassination attempt by Roderick McLean in Windsor.
- 1885Sino-French War: French victory in the Battle of Hòa Mộc near Tuyên Quang, northern Vietnam.
- 1901The U.S. Congress passes the Platt Amendment limiting the autonomy of Cuba, as a condition of the withdrawal of American troops.
- 1903In New York City the Martha Washington Hotel opens, becoming the first hotel exclusively for women.
- 1917The enactment of the Jones–Shafroth Act grants Puerto Ricans United States citizenship.
Curious about this Ocean Blue Buttercream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!