The following events took place on March 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1010Ferdowsi completes his epic poem Shahnameh.
- 1126Following the death of his mother Urraca, Alfonso VII is proclaimed king of Castile and León.
- 1576Spanish explorer Diego García de Palacio first sights the ruins of the ancient Mayan city of Copán.
- 1618Johannes Kepler discovers the third law of planetary motion.
- 1655John Casor becomes the first legally-recognized slave in England’s North American colonies where a crime was not committed.
- 1658Treaty of Roskilde: After a devastating defeat in the Northern Wars (1655–1661), Frederick III, the King of Denmark–Norway is forced to give up nearly half his territory to Sweden to save the rest.
- 1702Anne Stuart, sister of Mary II, becomes Queen regnant of England, Scotland, and Ireland.
- 1722The Safavid Empire of Iran is defeated by an army from Afghanistan at the Battle of Gulnabad, pushing Iran into anarchy.
- 1736Nader Shah, founder of the Afsharid dynasty, is crowned Shah of Iran.
- 1775An anonymous writer, thought by some to be Thomas Paine, publishes “African Slavery in America”, the first article in the American colonies calling for the emancipation of slaves and the abolition of slavery.
- 1777Regiments from Ansbach and Bayreuth, sent to support Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War, mutiny in the town of Ochsenfurt.
- 1782Gnadenhütten massacre: Ninety-six Native Americans in Gnadenhutten, Ohio, who had converted to Christianity are killed by Pennsylvania militiamen in retaliation for raids carried out by other Indians.
- 1801War of the Second Coalition: At the Battle of Abukir, a British force under Sir Ralph Abercromby lands in Egypt with the aim of ending the French campaign in Egypt and Syria.
- 1817The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1844King Oscar I ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
- 1862American Civil War: The iron-clad CSS Virginia (formerly USS Merrimack) is launched at Hampton Roads, Virginia.
- 1868Sakai incident: Japanese samurai kill 11 French sailors in the port of Sakai near Osaka.
- 1910French aviatrix Raymonde de Laroche becomes the first woman to receive a pilot’s license.
- 1911International Women’s Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 1914First flights (for the Royal Thai Air Force) at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok.
- 1916World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempts to relieve the siege of Kut (present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.
- 1917International Women’s Day protests in St. Petersburg mark the beginning of the February Revolution (so named because it was February on the Julian calendar).
- 1917The United States Senate votes to limit filibusters by adopting the cloture rule.
- 1920The Arab Kingdom of Syria, the first modern Arab state to come into existence, is established.
- 1921Spanish Prime Minister Eduardo Dato Iradier is assassinated while exiting the parliament building in Madrid.
- 1924The Castle Gate Mine disaster kills 172 coal miners near Castle Gate, Utah.
- 1936Daytona Beach and Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: The Battle of Guadalajara begins.
- 1942World War II: Dutch forces surrender to Japanese forces on Java.
- 1947Thirteen thousand troops of the Republic of China Army arrive in Taiwan after the 228 Incident and launch crackdowns which kill thousands of people, including many elites. This turns into a major root of the Taiwan independence movement.
Curious about this Royal Purple Kokoro? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!