The following events took place on May 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 927Death of Simeon I the Great, the first Bulgarian to be recognized as Emperor.
- 1120Richard III of Capua is anointed as Prince two weeks before his untimely death.
- 1153Malcolm IV becomes King of Scotland.
- 1199John is crowned King of England.
- 1644Manchu regent Dorgon defeats rebel leader Li Zicheng of the Shun dynasty at the Battle of Shanhai Pass, allowing the Manchus to enter and conquer the capital city of Beijing.
- 1703Tsar Peter the Great founds the city of Saint Petersburg.
- 1798The Battle of Oulart Hill takes place in Wexford, Ireland.
- 1799War of the Second Coalition: Austrian forces defeats the French at Winterthur, Switzerland, securing control of the northeastern Swiss Plateau because of the town’s location at the junction of seven cross-roads.
- 1813War of 1812: In Canada, American forces capture Fort George.
- 1849The Great Hall of Euston station in London is opened.
- 1860Giuseppe Garibaldi begins his attack on Palermo, Sicily, as part of the Italian unification.
- 1863American Civil War: First Assault on the Confederate works at the Siege of Port Hudson.
- 1874The first group of Dorsland trekkers under the leadership of Gert Alberts leaves Pretoria.
- 1883Alexander III is crowned Tsar of Russia.
- 1896The F4-strength 1896 St. Louis–East St. Louis tornado hits in St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois, killing at least 255 people and causing $2.9 billion in damage (1997 US dollars).
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: The Battle of Tsushima begins.
- 1907Bubonic plague breaks out in San Francisco.
- 1908Khilafat Day – the day of establishment of Khilafat in Islam Ahmadiyya.
- 1919The NC-4 aircraft arrives in Lisbon after completing the first transatlantic flight.
- 1927The Ford Motor Company ceases manufacture of the Ford Model T and begins to retool plants to make the Ford Model A.
- 1930The 1046 ft Chrysler Building in New York City, the tallest man-made structure at the time, opens to the public.
- 1933New Deal: The U.S. Federal Securities Act is signed into law requiring the registration of securities with the Federal Trade Commission.
- 1933The Walt Disney Company releases the cartoon Three Little Pigs, with its hit song “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?”
- 1933The Century of Progress World’s Fair opens in Chicago.
- 1935New Deal: The Supreme Court of the United States declares the National Industrial Recovery Act to be unconstitutional in A.L.A. Schechter Poultry Corp. v. United States, (295 U.S. 495).
- 1937In California, the Golden Gate Bridge opens to pedestrian traffic, creating a vital link between San Francisco and Marin County, California.
- 1940World War II: In the Le Paradis massacre, 99 soldiers from a Royal Norfolk Regiment unit are shot after surrendering to German troops; two survive.
- 1941World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaims an “unlimited national emergency”.
- 1941World War II: The warship German battleship is sunk in the North Atlantic killing almost 2,100 men.
- 1942World War II: In Operation Anthropoid, Reinhard Heydrich is fatally wounded in Prague; he dies of his injuries eight days later.
Curious about this Amethyst? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!