The following events took place on December 7. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 36 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 43 BCMarcus Tullius Cicero is assassinated.
- 574Emperor Justin II retires due to recurring seizures of insanity. He abdicates the throne in favor of his general Tiberius, proclaiming him Caesar.
- 1703The Great Storm of 1703, the greatest windstorm ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain, makes landfall. Winds gust up to 120 mph, and 9,000 people die.
- 1724Tumult of Thorn: Religious unrest is followed by the execution of nine Protestant citizens and the mayor of Thorn (Toruń) by Polish authorities.
- 1732The Royal Opera House opens at Covent Garden, London, England.
- 1776Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette, arranges to enter the American military as a major general.
- 1787Delaware becomes the first state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas.
- 1869American outlaw Jesse James commits his first confirmed bank robbery in Gallatin, Missouri.
- 1917World War I: The United States declares war on Austria-Hungary.
- 1930W1XAV in Boston, Massachusetts telecasts video from the CBS radio orchestra program, The Fox Trappers. The telecast also includes the first television commercial in the United States, an advertisement for I.J. Fox Furriers, who sponsored the radio show.
- 1936Australian cricketer Jack Fingleton becomes the first player to score centuries in four consecutive Test innings.
- 1941World War II: Attack on Pearl Harbor – The Imperial Japanese Navy carries out a surprise attack on the United States Pacific Fleet and its defending Army and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. (For Japan’s near-simultaneous attacks on Eastern Hemisphere targets, see December 8.)
- 1946A fire at the Winecoff Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, kills 119 people, the deadliest hotel fire in U.S. history.
- 1949Chinese Civil War: The Government of the Republic of China moves from Nanking to Taipei, Taiwan.
- 1962Prince Rainier III of Monaco revises the principality’s constitution, devolving some of his power to advisory and legislative councils.
- 1963Instant replay makes its debut during an American Army–Navy football game.
- 1965Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I simultaneously revoke mutual excommunications that had been in place since 1054.
- 1971Pakistan President Yahya Khan announces the formation of a coalition government with Nurul Amin as Prime Minister and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto as Deputy Prime Minister.
- 1972Imelda Marcos survives an assassination attempt using a bolo knife against her.
- 1972Apollo 17, the last Apollo moon mission, is launched. The crew takes the photograph known as The Blue Marble as they leave the Earth.
- 1975Warschauer Kniefall - German Chancellor Willy Brandt makes a gesture of humility towards the victims of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
- 1975Indonesian invasion of East Timor: The invasion begins.
- 1982In Texas, Charles Brooks, Jr., becomes the first person to be executed by lethal injection in the United States.
- 1983An Iberia Airlines Boeing 727 collides with an Aviaco DC-9 in dense fog while the two airliners are taxiing down the runway at Madrid–Barajas Airport, killing 93 people.
- 1987Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771 crashes near Paso Robles, California, killing all 43 on board, after a disgruntled passenger shoots his ex-boss traveling on the flight, then shoots both pilots and himself.
- 1988Spitak earthquake: In Armenia an earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale kills more than 25,000, injures 30,000 and leaves 500,000 homeless out of a population of 3,500,000.
- 1988Yasser Arafat recognizes the right of Israel to exist.
- 1993The Long Island Rail Road massacre: Passenger Colin Ferguson murders six people and injures 19 others on the LIRR in Nassau County, New York.
- 1995The Galileo spacecraft arrives at Jupiter, a little more than six years after it was launched by Space Shuttle Atlantis during Mission STS-34.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)