The following events took place on February 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 116Emperor Trajan sends laureatae to the Roman Senate at Rome on account of his victories and being conqueror of Parthia.
- 1249Andrew of Longjumeau is dispatched by Louis IX of France as his ambassador to meet with the Khagan of the Mongol Empire.
- 1270Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeats the Livonian Order in the Battle of Karuse.
- 1630Dutch forces led by Hendrick Lonck capture Olinda in what was to become part of Dutch Brazil.
- 1646Battle of Torrington, Devon – the last major battle of the first English Civil War.
- 1699First Leopoldine Diploma is issued by the Holy Roman Emperor, recognizing the Greek Catholic clergy enjoyed the same privileges as Roman Catholic priests in the Principality of Transylvania.
- 1742Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington, becomes British Prime Minister.
- 1804First Barbary War: Stephen Decatur leads a raid to burn the pirate-held frigate USS Philadelphia.
- 1852Studebaker Brothers wagon company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established.
- 1862American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant captures Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- 1866Spencer Compton Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington becomes British Secretary of State for War.
- 1874Silver Dollar becomes legal US tender.
- 1881The Canadian Pacific Railway is incorporated by Act of Parliament at Ottawa (44th Vic., c.1).
- 1899Iceland’s first football club, Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur, is founded.
- 1918The Council of Lithuania unanimously adopts the Act of Independence, declaring Lithuania an independent state.
- 1923Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
- 1930The Romanian Football Federation joins FIFA.
- 1934The Austrian Civil War ends with the defeat of the Social Democrats and the Republikanischer Schutzbund.
- 1936Elections bring the Popular Front to power in Spain.
- 1937Wallace H. Carothers receives a United States patent for nylon.
- 1940World War II: Altmark Incident: The German tanker Altmark is boarded by sailors from the British destroyer HMS Cossack. 299 British prisoners are freed.
- 1943World War II: Red Army troops re-enter Kharkov.
- 1943World War II: Insertion of Operation Gunnerside, Norway.
- 1945World War II: American forces land on Corregidor Island in the Philippines.
- 1957The “Toddlers’ Truce”, a controversial television close down between 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm is abolished in the United Kingdom.
- 1959Fidel Castro becomes Premier of Cuba after dictator Fulgencio Batista was overthrown on January 1.
- 1960The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton begins Operation Sandblast, setting sail from New London, Connecticut, to begin the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1961Explorer program: Explorer 9 (S-56a) is launched.
- 1961The DuSable Museum of African American History is chartered.
- 1962Flooding in the coastal areas of West Germany kills 315 and destroys the homes of about 60,000 people.
Curious about this Coconut Butter Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!