The following events took place on February 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 116Emperor Trajan sends laureatae to the Roman Senate at Rome on account of his victories and being conqueror of Parthia.
- 1249Andrew of Longjumeau is dispatched by Louis IX of France as his ambassador to meet with the Khagan of the Mongol Empire.
- 1270Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeats the Livonian Order in the Battle of Karuse.
- 1630Dutch forces led by Hendrick Lonck capture Olinda in what was to become part of Dutch Brazil.
- 1646Battle of Torrington, Devon – the last major battle of the first English Civil War.
- 1699First Leopoldine Diploma is issued by the Holy Roman Emperor, recognizing the Greek Catholic clergy enjoyed the same privileges as Roman Catholic priests in the Principality of Transylvania.
- 1742Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington, becomes British Prime Minister.
- 1804First Barbary War: Stephen Decatur leads a raid to burn the pirate-held frigate USS Philadelphia.
- 1852Studebaker Brothers wagon company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established.
- 1862American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant captures Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- 1866Spencer Compton Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington becomes British Secretary of State for War.
- 1874Silver Dollar becomes legal US tender.
- 1881The Canadian Pacific Railway is incorporated by Act of Parliament at Ottawa (44th Vic., c.1).
- 1899Iceland’s first football club, Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur, is founded.
- 1918The Council of Lithuania unanimously adopts the Act of Independence, declaring Lithuania an independent state.
- 1923Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
- 1930The Romanian Football Federation joins FIFA.
- 1934The Austrian Civil War ends with the defeat of the Social Democrats and the Republikanischer Schutzbund.
- 1936Elections bring the Popular Front to power in Spain.
- 1937Wallace H. Carothers receives a United States patent for nylon.
- 1940World War II: Altmark Incident: The German tanker Altmark is boarded by sailors from the British destroyer HMS Cossack. 299 British prisoners are freed.
- 1943World War II: Red Army troops re-enter Kharkov.
- 1943World War II: Insertion of Operation Gunnerside, Norway.
- 1945World War II: American forces land on Corregidor Island in the Philippines.
- 1957The “Toddlers’ Truce”, a controversial television close down between 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm is abolished in the United Kingdom.
- 1959Fidel Castro becomes Premier of Cuba after dictator Fulgencio Batista was overthrown on January 1.
- 1960The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton begins Operation Sandblast, setting sail from New London, Connecticut, to begin the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1961Explorer program: Explorer 9 (S-56a) is launched.
- 1961The DuSable Museum of African American History is chartered.
- 1962Flooding in the coastal areas of West Germany kills 315 and destroys the homes of about 60,000 people.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!