The following events took place on January 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople.
- 888Odo, Count of Paris becomes King of the Franks.
- 1435Sicut Dudum, forbidding the enslavement of the Guanche natives in Canary Islands by the Spanish, is promulgated by Pope Eugene IV.
- 1547Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey is sentenced to death.
- 1607The Bank of Genoa fails after announcement of national bankruptcy in Spain.
- 1666French traveller Jean-Baptiste Tavernier arrived in Dhaka and met Shaista Khan.
- 1793Nicolas Jean Hugon de Bassville, representative of Revolutionary France, lynched by a mob in Rome
- 1797French Revolutionary Wars: A naval battle between a French ship of the line and two British frigates off the coast of Brittany ends with the French vessel running aground, resulting in over 900 deaths.
- 1815War of 1812: British troops capture Fort Peter in St. Marys, Georgia, the only battle of the war to take place in the state.
- 1822The design of the Greek flag is adopted by the First National Assembly at Epidaurus.
- 1830The Great Fire of New Orleans begins.
- 1833United States President Andrew Jackson writes to Vice President Martin Van Buren expressing his opposition to South Carolina’s defiance of federal authority in the Nullification Crisis.
- 1840The steamship Lexington burns and sinks four miles off the coast of Long Island with the loss of 139 lives.
- 1842Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
- 1847The Treaty of Cahuenga ends the Mexican–American War in California.
- 1869National convention of black leaders meets in Washington, D.C.
- 1893The Independent Labour Party of the United Kingdom holds its first meeting.
- 1893U.S. Marines land in Honolulu, Hawaii from the USS Boston to prevent the queen from abrogating the Bayonet Constitution.
- 1895First Italo-Ethiopian War: the war’s opening battle, the Battle of Coatit, occurs; it is an Italian victory.
- 1898Émile Zola’s J'accuse exposes the Dreyfus affair.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)