The following events took place on January 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople.
- 888Odo, Count of Paris becomes King of the Franks.
- 1435Sicut Dudum, forbidding the enslavement of the Guanche natives in Canary Islands by the Spanish, is promulgated by Pope Eugene IV.
- 1547Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey is sentenced to death.
- 1607The Bank of Genoa fails after announcement of national bankruptcy in Spain.
- 1666French traveller Jean-Baptiste Tavernier arrived in Dhaka and met Shaista Khan.
- 1793Nicolas Jean Hugon de Bassville, representative of Revolutionary France, lynched by a mob in Rome
- 1797French Revolutionary Wars: A naval battle between a French ship of the line and two British frigates off the coast of Brittany ends with the French vessel running aground, resulting in over 900 deaths.
- 1815War of 1812: British troops capture Fort Peter in St. Marys, Georgia, the only battle of the war to take place in the state.
- 1822The design of the Greek flag is adopted by the First National Assembly at Epidaurus.
- 1830The Great Fire of New Orleans begins.
- 1833United States President Andrew Jackson writes to Vice President Martin Van Buren expressing his opposition to South Carolina’s defiance of federal authority in the Nullification Crisis.
- 1840The steamship Lexington burns and sinks four miles off the coast of Long Island with the loss of 139 lives.
- 1842Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
- 1847The Treaty of Cahuenga ends the Mexican–American War in California.
- 1869National convention of black leaders meets in Washington, D.C.
- 1893The Independent Labour Party of the United Kingdom holds its first meeting.
- 1893U.S. Marines land in Honolulu, Hawaii from the USS Boston to prevent the queen from abrogating the Bayonet Constitution.
- 1895First Italo-Ethiopian War: the war’s opening battle, the Battle of Coatit, occurs; it is an Italian victory.
- 1898Émile Zola’s J'accuse exposes the Dreyfus affair.
- 1908The Rhoads Opera House Fire in Boyertown, Pennsylvania kills 171 people.
- 1910The first public radio broadcast takes place; a live performance of the opera Cavalleria rusticana is sent out over the airwaves from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, New York.
- 1913Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated was founded on the campus of Howard University.
- 1915An earthquake in Avezzano, Italy kills 29,800.
- 1934The Candidate of Sciences degree is established in the Soviet Union.
- 1935A plebiscite in Saarland shows that 90.3% of those voting wish to join Nazi Germany.
- 1939The Black Friday bush fires burn 20,000 square kilometers of land in Australia, claiming the lives of 71 people.
- 1942Henry Ford patents a plastic automobile, which is 30% lighter than a regular car.
- 1942World War II: First use of an aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- 1951First Indochina War: The Battle of Vĩnh Yên begins, which will end in a major victory for France.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!