The following events took place on January 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 31 - 59.
- 1947Thomas Goldsmith Jr. files a patent for a “Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device”, the first ever electronic game.
- 1949At the Hollywood Athletic Club the first Emmy Awards are presented.
- 1955The Soviet Union ends the state of war with Germany.
- 1960The National Association of Broadcasters reacts to the “payola” scandal by threatening fines for any disc jockeys who accept money for playing particular records.
- 1961In Washington, D.C., President John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
- 1969Brazilian Army captain Carlos Lamarca deserts in order to fight against the military dictatorship, taking with him ten machine guns and 63 rifles.
- 1971Charles Manson and three female “Family” members are found guilty of the 1969 Tate–LaBianca murders.
- 1971Idi Amin leads a coup deposing Milton Obote and becomes Uganda’s president.
- 1979Pope John Paul II starts his first official papal visits outside Italy to The Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Mexico.
- 1980Mother Teresa is honored with India’s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna
- 1981Jiang Qing, the widow of Mao Zedong, is sentenced to death.
- 1986The National Resistance Movement topples the government of Tito Okello in Uganda.
- 1990Avianca Flight 52 crashes into Cove Neck, New York due to fuel exhaustion.
- 1993Five people are shot outside the CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Two are killed and three wounded.
- 1994The Clementine space probe launches.
- 1995The Norwegian rocket incident: Russia almost launches a nuclear attack after it mistakes Black Brant XII, a Norwegian research rocket, for a US Trident missile.
- 1996Billy Bailey becomes the last person to be hanged in the USA.
- 1998During a historic visit to Cuba, Pope John Paul II demands political reforms and the release of political prisoners while condemning US attempts to isolate the country.
- 1998A suicide attack by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on Sri Lanka’s Temple of the Tooth kills eight and injures 25 others.
- 1999A 6.0 Richter scale earthquake hits western Colombia killing at least 1,000.
- 2003Invasion of Iraq: A group of people leave London, England, for Baghdad, Iraq, to serve as human shields, intending to prevent the U.S.-led coalition troops from bombing certain locations.
- 2004Opportunity rover (MER-B) lands on surface of Mars.
- 2005A stampede at the Mandhradevi temple in Maharashtra, India kills at least 258.
- 2006Three independent observing campaigns announce the discovery of OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb through gravitational microlensing, the first cool rocky/icy extrasolar planet around a main-sequence star.
- 2006Mexican professional wrestler Juana Barraza is arrested in connection with the serial killing of at least ten elderly women.
- 2010Ethiopian Airlines Flight 409 crashes into the Mediterranean. All 90 passengers and crew were killed.
- 2011The first wave of the Egyptian revolution begins in Egypt, with a series of street demonstrations, marches, rallies, acts of civil disobedience, riots, labour strikes, and violent clashes in Cairo, Alexandria, and throughout other cities in Egypt.
- 2013At least 50 people are killed and 120 people are injured in a prison riot in Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- 2015A clash in Mamasapano, Maguindanao in the Philippines killing 44 members of Special Action Force (SAF), at least 18 from Moro Islamic Liberation Front and five from Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Nicolas’ personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)