The following events took place on January 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 41After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- 750In the Battle of the Zab, the Abbasid rebels defeat the Umayyad Caliphate, leading to overthrow of the dynasty.
- 1348A strong earthquake strikes the South Alpine region of Friuli in modern Italy, causing considerable damage to buildings as far away as Rome.
- 1494Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
- 1515Coronation of Francis I of France.
- 1533Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
- 1554Founding of São Paulo city, Brazil.
- 1573Battle of Mikatagahara: In Japan, Takeda Shingen defeats Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- 1575Luanda, the capital of Angola, is founded by the Portuguese navigator Paulo Dias de Novais.
- 1704The Battle of Ayubale results in the destruction of most of the Spanish missions in Florida.
- 1755Moscow University is established on Tatiana Day.
- 1765Port Egmont, the first British settlement in the Falkland Islands at the southern tip of South America, is founded.
- 1787Shays’ Rebellion: The rebellion’s largest confrontation, outside the Springfield Armory, results in the killing of four rebels and the wounding of twenty.
- 1791The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791 and splits the old Province of Quebec into Upper Canada and Lower Canada.
- 1792The London Corresponding Society is founded.
- 1858The Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn is played at the marriage of Queen Victoria’s daughter, Victoria, and Friedrich of Prussia, and becomes a popular wedding recessional.
- 1879The Bulgarian National Bank is founded.
- 1881Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1890Nellie Bly completes her round-the-world journey in 72 days.
- 1909Richard Strauss’s opera Elektra receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 1915Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service, speaking from New York to Thomas Watson in San Francisco.
- 1918Ukraine declares independence from Bolshevik Russia.
- 1924The 1924 Winter Olympics opens in Chamonix, in the French Alps, inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
- 1932Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese National Revolutionary Army begins its defense of Harbin.
- 1937The Guiding Light debuts on NBC radio from Chicago. In 1952 it moves to CBS television, where it remains until September 18, 2009.
- 1941Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- 1942World War II: Thailand declares war on the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1944Florence Li Tim-Oi is ordained in China, becoming the first woman Anglican priest.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Bulge ends.
- 1946The United Mine Workers rejoins the American Federation of Labor.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!