The following events took place on January 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 41After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- 750In the Battle of the Zab, the Abbasid rebels defeat the Umayyad Caliphate, leading to overthrow of the dynasty.
- 1348A strong earthquake strikes the South Alpine region of Friuli in modern Italy, causing considerable damage to buildings as far away as Rome.
- 1494Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
- 1515Coronation of Francis I of France.
- 1533Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
- 1554Founding of São Paulo city, Brazil.
- 1573Battle of Mikatagahara: In Japan, Takeda Shingen defeats Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- 1575Luanda, the capital of Angola, is founded by the Portuguese navigator Paulo Dias de Novais.
- 1704The Battle of Ayubale results in the destruction of most of the Spanish missions in Florida.
- 1755Moscow University is established on Tatiana Day.
- 1765Port Egmont, the first British settlement in the Falkland Islands at the southern tip of South America, is founded.
- 1787Shays’ Rebellion: The rebellion’s largest confrontation, outside the Springfield Armory, results in the killing of four rebels and the wounding of twenty.
- 1791The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791 and splits the old Province of Quebec into Upper Canada and Lower Canada.
- 1792The London Corresponding Society is founded.
- 1858The Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn is played at the marriage of Queen Victoria’s daughter, Victoria, and Friedrich of Prussia, and becomes a popular wedding recessional.
- 1879The Bulgarian National Bank is founded.
- 1881Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1890Nellie Bly completes her round-the-world journey in 72 days.
- 1909Richard Strauss’s opera Elektra receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 1915Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service, speaking from New York to Thomas Watson in San Francisco.
- 1918Ukraine declares independence from Bolshevik Russia.
- 1924The 1924 Winter Olympics opens in Chamonix, in the French Alps, inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
- 1932Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese National Revolutionary Army begins its defense of Harbin.
- 1937The Guiding Light debuts on NBC radio from Chicago. In 1952 it moves to CBS television, where it remains until September 18, 2009.
- 1941Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- 1942World War II: Thailand declares war on the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1944Florence Li Tim-Oi is ordained in China, becoming the first woman Anglican priest.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Bulge ends.
- 1946The United Mine Workers rejoins the American Federation of Labor.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)