The following events took place on July 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 61 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 48 BCBattle of Dyrrhachium: Julius Caesar barely avoids a catastrophic defeat to Pompey in Macedonia.
- 138Emperor Hadrian dies after a heart failure at Baiae; he is buried at Rome in the Tomb of Hadrian beside his late wife, Vibia Sabina.
- 645Isshi Incident: Prince Naka-no-Ōe and Fujiwara no Kamatari assassinate Soga no Iruka during a coup d'état at the imperial palace.
- 988The Norse King Glúniairn recognises Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill, High King of Ireland, and agrees to pay taxes and accept Brehon Law; the event is considered to be the founding of the city of Dublin.
- 1086King Canute IV of Denmark is killed by rebellious peasants.
- 1212The most severe of several early fires of London burns most of the city to the ground.
- 1460Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, defeats the king’s Lancastrian forces and takes King Henry VI prisoner in the Battle of Northampton.
- 1499The Portuguese explorer Nicolau Coelho returns to Lisbon, after discovering the sea route to India as a companion of Vasco da Gama.
- 1519Zhu Chenhao declares the Ming dynasty’s Zhengde Emperor a usurper, beginning the Prince of Ning rebellion, and leads his army north in an attempt to capture Nanjing.
- 1553Lady Jane Grey takes the throne of England.
- 1584William I of Orange is assassinated in his home in Delft, Holland, by Balthasar Gérard.
- 1645English Civil War: The Battle of Langport takes place.
- 1778American Revolution: Louis XVI of France declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1789Alexander Mackenzie reaches the Mackenzie River delta.
- 1806The Vellore Mutiny is the first instance of a mutiny by Indian sepoys against the British East India Company.
- 1821The United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.
- 1832U.S. President Andrew Jackson vetoes a bill that would re-charter the Second Bank of the United States.
- 1850U.S. President Millard Fillmore is sworn in, a day after becoming President upon Zachary Taylor’s death.
- 1869Gävle, Sweden, is largely destroyed in a fire; 80% of its 10,000 residents are left homeless.
- 1877The then-villa of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, formally receives its city charter from the Royal Crown of Spain.
What is in store for you this year? Let these forecasts and predictions help you succeed in life. Benefit from life changing events and know when they occur. Make everyday activities easier to handle. Get your Forecast Reports or download free samples!