The following events took place on July 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 61 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 48 BCBattle of Dyrrhachium: Julius Caesar barely avoids a catastrophic defeat to Pompey in Macedonia.
- 138Emperor Hadrian dies after a heart failure at Baiae; he is buried at Rome in the Tomb of Hadrian beside his late wife, Vibia Sabina.
- 645Isshi Incident: Prince Naka-no-Ōe and Fujiwara no Kamatari assassinate Soga no Iruka during a coup d'état at the imperial palace.
- 988The Norse King Glúniairn recognises Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill, High King of Ireland, and agrees to pay taxes and accept Brehon Law; the event is considered to be the founding of the city of Dublin.
- 1086King Canute IV of Denmark is killed by rebellious peasants.
- 1212The most severe of several early fires of London burns most of the city to the ground.
- 1460Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, defeats the king’s Lancastrian forces and takes King Henry VI prisoner in the Battle of Northampton.
- 1499The Portuguese explorer Nicolau Coelho returns to Lisbon, after discovering the sea route to India as a companion of Vasco da Gama.
- 1519Zhu Chenhao declares the Ming dynasty’s Zhengde Emperor a usurper, beginning the Prince of Ning rebellion, and leads his army north in an attempt to capture Nanjing.
- 1553Lady Jane Grey takes the throne of England.
- 1584William I of Orange is assassinated in his home in Delft, Holland, by Balthasar Gérard.
- 1645English Civil War: The Battle of Langport takes place.
- 1778American Revolution: Louis XVI of France declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1789Alexander Mackenzie reaches the Mackenzie River delta.
- 1806The Vellore Mutiny is the first instance of a mutiny by Indian sepoys against the British East India Company.
- 1821The United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.
- 1832U.S. President Andrew Jackson vetoes a bill that would re-charter the Second Bank of the United States.
- 1850U.S. President Millard Fillmore is sworn in, a day after becoming President upon Zachary Taylor’s death.
- 1869Gävle, Sweden, is largely destroyed in a fire; 80% of its 10,000 residents are left homeless.
- 1877The then-villa of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, formally receives its city charter from the Royal Crown of Spain.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)