The following events took place on October 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1066Edgar the Ætheling is proclaimed King of England, but is never crowned. He reigns until 10 December 1066.
- 1211Battle of the Rhyndacus: The Latin emperor Henry of Flanders defeats the Nicaean emperor Theodore I Laskaris.
- 1529The Siege of Vienna ends as the Austrians rout the invading Turks, turning the tide against almost a century of unchecked conquest throughout eastern and central Europe by the Ottoman Empire.
- 1582Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain, October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
- 1764Edward Gibbon observes a group of friars singing in the ruined Temple of Jupiter in Rome, which inspires him to begin work on The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
- 1783The Montgolfier brothers’ hot air balloon (tethered) makes the first human ascent, piloted by Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier.
- 1793Queen Marie Antoinette of France is tried and convicted in a swift, pre-determined trial in the Palais de Justice, Paris, and condemned to death the following day.
- 1815Napoleon I of France begins his exile on Saint Helena in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1863American Civil War: The H. L. Hunley, the first submarine to sink a ship, sinks during a test, killing its inventor, Horace L. Hunley.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Glasgow is fought, resulting in the surrender of Glasgow, Missouri and its Union garrison, to the Confederacy.
- 1878The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- 1888The “From Hell” letter allegedly sent by Jack the Ripper is received by investigators.
- 1894The Dreyfus affair: Alfred Dreyfus is arrested for spying.
- 1904The Russian Baltic Fleet leaves Reval, Estonia for Port Arthur during the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1910Airship America is launched from New Jersey in the first attempt to cross the Atlantic by a powered aircraft.
- 1917World War I: At Vincennes outside Paris, Dutch dancer Mata Hari is executed by firing squad for spying for the German Empire.
- 1923The German Rentenmark is introduced in Germany to counter hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic.
- 1928The airship, Graf Zeppelin completes its first trans-Atlantic flight, landing at Lakehurst, New Jersey, United States.
- 1932Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- 1934The Soviet Republic of China collapses when Chiang Kai-shek’s National Revolutionary Army successfully encircles Ruijin, forcing the fleeing Communists to begin the Long March.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get tips about your current relationship and how to improve it. Astrology reports to help you decide when to make yourself available for romantic or social activity. Get your love & romance reports or download free samples!