The following events took place on October 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1066Edgar the Ætheling is proclaimed King of England, but is never crowned. He reigns until 10 December 1066.
- 1211Battle of the Rhyndacus: The Latin emperor Henry of Flanders defeats the Nicaean emperor Theodore I Laskaris.
- 1529The Siege of Vienna ends as the Austrians rout the invading Turks, turning the tide against almost a century of unchecked conquest throughout eastern and central Europe by the Ottoman Empire.
- 1582Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain, October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
- 1764Edward Gibbon observes a group of friars singing in the ruined Temple of Jupiter in Rome, which inspires him to begin work on The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
- 1783The Montgolfier brothers’ hot air balloon (tethered) makes the first human ascent, piloted by Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier.
- 1793Queen Marie Antoinette of France is tried and convicted in a swift, pre-determined trial in the Palais de Justice, Paris, and condemned to death the following day.
- 1815Napoleon I of France begins his exile on Saint Helena in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1863American Civil War: The H. L. Hunley, the first submarine to sink a ship, sinks during a test, killing its inventor, Horace L. Hunley.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Glasgow is fought, resulting in the surrender of Glasgow, Missouri and its Union garrison, to the Confederacy.
- 1878The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- 1888The “From Hell” letter allegedly sent by Jack the Ripper is received by investigators.
- 1894The Dreyfus affair: Alfred Dreyfus is arrested for spying.
- 1904The Russian Baltic Fleet leaves Reval, Estonia for Port Arthur during the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1910Airship America is launched from New Jersey in the first attempt to cross the Atlantic by a powered aircraft.
- 1917World War I: At Vincennes outside Paris, Dutch dancer Mata Hari is executed by firing squad for spying for the German Empire.
- 1923The German Rentenmark is introduced in Germany to counter hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic.
- 1928The airship, Graf Zeppelin completes its first trans-Atlantic flight, landing at Lakehurst, New Jersey, United States.
- 1932Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- 1934The Soviet Republic of China collapses when Chiang Kai-shek’s National Revolutionary Army successfully encircles Ruijin, forcing the fleeing Communists to begin the Long March.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)