The following events took place on April 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1111Henry V is crowned Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1204Constantinople falls to the Crusaders of the Fourth Crusade, temporarily ending the Byzantine Empire.
- 1598Henry IV of France issues the Edict of Nantes, allowing freedom of religion to the Huguenots.
- 1612Miyamoto Musashi defeats Sasaki Kojirō at Funajima island.
- 1613Samuel Argall captures Native American princess Pocahontas in Passapatanzy, Virginia to ransom her for some English prisoners held by her father. She is brought to Henricus as hostage.
- 1699Guru Gobind Singh, the Tenth Sikh Guru, Created Khalsa on this day at Anandpur Sahib, Punjab.
- 1742George Frideric Handel’s oratorio Messiah makes its world-premiere in Dublin, Ireland.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American forces are ambushed and defeated in the Battle of Bound Brook, New Jersey.
- 1829The Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 gives Roman Catholics in the United Kingdom the right to vote and to sit in Parliament.
- 1849Hungary becomes a republic.
- 1861American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces.
- 1865American Civil War: Raleigh, North Carolina is occupied by Union Forces.
- 1870The New York City Metropolitan Museum of Art is founded.
- 1873The Colfax massacre, in which more than 60 African Americans are murdered, takes place.
- 1902James C. Penney opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- 1909The Turkish military reverses the Ottoman countercoup of 1909 to force the overthrow of Sultan Abdul Hamid II.
- 1919The establishment of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
- 1919Jallianwala Bagh massacre: British troops gun down at least 379 unarmed demonstrators in Amritsar, India; at least 1200 are wounded.
- 1919Eugene V. Debs is imprisoned at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia, for speaking out against the draft during World War I.
- 1941A Pact of neutrality between the USSR and Japan is signed.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)