The following events took place on April 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 238Year of the Six Emperors: The Roman Senate outlaws emperor Maximinus Thrax for his bloodthirsty proscriptions in Rome and nominates two of its members, Pupienus and Balbinus, to the throne.
- 1500Portuguese navigator Pedro Álvares Cabral lands in Brazil.
- 1519Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés establishes a settlement at Veracruz, Mexico.
- 1529Treaty of Zaragoza divides the eastern hemisphere between Spain and Portugal along a line 297.5 leagues or 17° east of the Moluccas.
- 1622The Capture of Ormuz by the East India Company ends Portuguese control of Hormuz Island.
- 1809The second day of the Battle of Eckmühl: The Austrian army is defeated by the First French Empire army led by Napoleon and driven over the Danube in Regensburg.
- 1836Texas Revolution: A day after the Battle of San Jacinto, forces under Texas General Sam Houston identify Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna among the captives of the battle when one of his fellow captives mistakenly gives away his identity.
- 1864The U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that the inscription In God We Trust be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- 1876The first game in the history of the National League was played at the Jefferson Street Grounds in Philadelphia. This game is often pointed to as the beginning of the MLB.
- 1889At noon, thousands rush to claim land in the Land Rush of 1889. Within hours the cities of Oklahoma City and Guthrie are formed with populations of at least 10,000.
- 1898Spanish–American War: The USS Nashville captures a Spanish merchant ship.
- 1906The 1906 Summer Olympics, not now recognized as part of the official Olympic Games, open in Athens.
- 1911Tsinghua University, one of mainland China’s leading universities, is founded.
- 1912Pravda, the “voice” of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, begins publication in Saint Petersburg.
- 1915The use of poison gas in World War I escalates when chlorine gas is released as a chemical weapon in the Second Battle of Ypres.
- 1930The United Kingdom, Japan and the United States sign the London Naval Treaty regulating submarine warfare and limiting shipbuilding.
- 1944The 1st Air Commando Group using Sikorsky R-4 helicopters stage the first use of helicopters in combat with combat search and rescue operations in the China Burma India Theater.
- 1944World War II: Operation Persecution is initiated: Allied forces land in the Hollandia (currently known as Jayapura) area of New Guinea.
- 1945World War II: Prisoners at the Jasenovac concentration camp revolt. Five hundred twenty are killed and 80 escape.
- 1945World War II: Führerbunker: After learning that Soviet forces have taken Eberswalde without a fight, Adolf Hitler admits defeat in his underground bunker and states that suicide is his only recourse.
- 1948Arab–Israeli War: Haifa, a major port of Israel, is captured from Arab forces.
- 1951Korean War: The Chinese People’s Volunteer Army begin assaulting positions defended by the Royal Australian Regiment and the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry at the Battle of Kapyong.
- 1954Red Scare: Witnesses begin testifying and live television coverage of the Army–McCarthy hearings begins.
- 1964The 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair opens for its first season.
- 1969British yachtsman Sir Robin Knox-Johnston wins the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race and completes the first solo non-stop circumnavigation of the world.
- 1970The first Earth Day is celebrated.
- 1972Vietnam War: Increased American bombing in Vietnam prompts anti-war protests in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco.
- 1977Optical fiber is first used to carry live telephone traffic.
- 1983The German magazine Stern claims that the “Hitler Diaries” had been found in wreckage in East Germany; the diaries are subsequently revealed to be forgeries.
- 1992In a series of explosions in Guadalajara, Mexico, 206 people are killed, nearly 500 injured and 15,000 left homeless.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)