The following events took place on August 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 14Agrippa Postumus, adopted son of the late Roman emperor Augustus, is executed by his guards while in exile under mysterious circumstances.
- 636Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of Syria and Palestine away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
- 917Battle of Acheloos: Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria decisively defeats a Byzantine army.
- 1000The foundation of the Hungarian state by Saint Stephen, celebrated as a National Day in Hungary.
- 1083Canonization of the first King of Hungary, Saint Stephen and his son Saint Emeric.
- 1308Pope Clement V pardons Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, absolving him of charges of heresy.
- 1391Konrad von Wallenrode becomes the 24th Grand Master of the Teutonic Order.
- 1467The Second Battle of Olmedo takes places as part of a succession conflict between Henry IV of Castile and his half-brother Alfonso, Prince of Asturias.
- 1519Philosopher and general Wang Yangming defeats Zhu Chenhao, ending the Prince of Ning rebellion against the reign of the Ming dynasty’s Zhengde Emperor.
- 1672Former Grand Pensionary Johan de Witt and his brother Cornelis are brutally murdered by an angry mob in The Hague.
- 1707The first Siege of Pensacola comes to end with the failure of the British to capture Pensacola, Florida.
- 1710War of the Spanish Succession: A multinational army led by the Austrian commander Guido Starhemberg defeats the Spanish-Bourbon army commanded by Alexandre Maître, Marquis de Bay in the Battle of Saragossa.
- 1775The Spanish establish the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson in the town that became Tucson, Arizona.
- 1794Battle of Fallen Timbers: American troops force a confederacy of Shawnee, Mingo, Delaware, Wyandot, Miami, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi warriors into a disorganized retreat.
- 1858Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, alongside Alfred Russel Wallace’s same theory.
- 1866President Andrew Johnson formally declares the American Civil War over.
- 1882Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture debuts in Moscow, Russia.
- 1910The Great Fire of 1910 (also commonly referred to as the “Big Blowup” or the “Big Burn”) occurs in northeast Washington, northern Idaho (the panhandle), and western Montana, burning approximately 3 e6acre.
- 1914World War I: German forces occupy Brussels.
- 1920The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit.
- 1926Japan’s public broadcasting company, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai (NHK) is established.
- 1938Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam, a record that stood for 75 years until it was broken by Alex Rodriguez.
- 1940In Mexico City, Mexico exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramón Mercader. He dies the next day.
- 1940World War II: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line “Never was so much owed by so many to so few”.
- 1944World War II: 168 captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being “terror fliers”, arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of Romania begins with a major Soviet Union offensive.
- 1950Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Nakdong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- 1955In Morocco, a force of Berbers from the Atlas Mountains region of Algeria raid two rural settlements and kill 77 French nationals.
- 1960Senegal breaks from the Mali Federation, declaring its independence.
- 1962The NS Savannah, the world’s first nuclear-powered civilian ship, embarks on its maiden voyage.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!