The following events took place on August 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 392Arbogast has Eugenius elected Western Roman Emperor.
- 476Odoacer is named Rex italiae by his troops.
- 565Columba reports seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland.
- 851Battle of Jengland: Erispoe defeats Charles the Bald near the Breton town of Jengland.
- 1138Battle of the Standard between Scotland and England.
- 1485The Battle of Bosworth Field, the death of Richard III and the end of the House of Plantagenet.
- 1559Bartolomé Carranza, Spanish archbishop, is arrested for heresy.
- 1639Madras (now Chennai), India, is founded by the British East India Company on a sliver of land bought from local Nayak rulers.
- 1642Charles I calls the English Parliament traitors. The English Civil War begins.
- 1654Jacob Barsimson arrives in New Amsterdam. He is the first known Jewish immigrant to America.
- 1711Ships from British Admiral Hovenden Walker’s Quebec Expedition flounders on rocks at the mouth of the Saint Lawrence River.
- 1717Spanish troops land on Sardinia.
- 1770James Cook names and lands on Possession Island, Queensland and claims the east coast of Australia as New South Wales in the name of King George III.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
- 1780James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- 1791Beginning of the Haitian Slave Revolution in Saint-Domingue.
- 1798French troops land in Kilcummin harbour, County Mayo, Ireland to aid Wolfe Tone’s United Irishmen’s Irish Rebellion.
- 1827José de la Mar becomes President of Peru.
- 1831Nat Turner’s slave rebellion commences just after midnight in Southampton County, Virginia, leading to the deaths of more than 50 whites and several hundred African Americans who are killed in retaliation for the uprising.
- 1846The Second Federal Republic of Mexico is established.
- 1848The United States annexes New Mexico.
- 1849The first air raid in history. Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
- 1851The first America’s Cup is won by the yacht America.
- 1864Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Convention.
- 1875The Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Japan and Russia is ratified, providing for the exchange of Sakhalin for the Kuril Islands.
- 1902Cadillac Motor Company is founded.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1910Korea is annexed by Japan with the signing of the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, beginning a period of Japanese rule of Korea that lasted until the end of World War II.
- 1922Michael Collins, Commander-in-chief of the Irish Free State Army, is shot dead during an Anti-Treaty ambush at Béal na Bláth, County Cork, during the Irish Civil War.
- 1932The BBC first experiments with television broadcasting. (See also Timeline of the BBC.)
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)